Second Skin Audio

Can you modify recommended port area?

Ericksol96

Hey guys, first time here and first time building a subwoofer box. I have two questions, does a ported box have to be square or rectangle? I'm planning to build a box to fit deep in my trunk Over the wheel/suspension wedge. The base would be 26" and the top part would be 36" and I'm planning to put the port either right top panel or upper right panel.  I read that it can cause issues with the sound waves. 

My second question is can you modify the recommended port are? I have a 12" CVX and recommended is 3x12.5 and 20" deep. Can I do 2x18.75 or even 6x6.25? Both 20" deep. Thank you in advance 

The aspect ration of the port is not important unless it gets really narrow and long. then it becomes inefficient. You do need to make sure you maintain the required area. 

The shape of the enclosure will only ave issues if the sub woofer is oriented so par tof it is over the port or the shape makes one portion of the in a deeper part of the enclosure and etc. 

Hope that makes sense.

7 hours ago, ckeeler11 said:

The aspect ration of the port is not important unless it gets really narrow and long. then it becomes inefficient. You do need to make sure you maintain the required area. 

The shape of the enclosure will only ave issues if the sub woofer is oriented so par tof it is over the port or the shape makes one portion of the in a deeper part of the enclosure and etc. 

Hope that makes sense.

I don't understand the second part about the subwoofer Box. The shape I'm trying to build is like a T. 

37 minutes ago, ckeeler11 said:

The subwoofer would need to be mounted so it is either over the deeper part or the shallower part. it should not split it.

Like it shouldn't be in between the shallow and deeper part but one or the other? This is my light sketch. The depth of the box will be the same in every part. 

BE315924-70D5-4AFA-8AEA-D4247C30F148.jpeg

1 hour ago, ckeeler11 said:

Sub centered would be best. That port is not going to work there. I would eitehr fire out the side or top but moved over to the deeper part of the box. 

Why wouldn't the port work?itll be using the whole upper right space depth and also with a fold sliding into the middle. 

My biggest concern is that if you have the proper port area and decent tuning chances are that turn will put it right at the sub. I suppose if you have the correct length and area it will work but needs to be away from the backside of the cone. Just from the drawing which i Know is not to scale it looks off, way to short for proper tuning.

Archived