Somethings killing my batteries

well the easiest  is to stick a ammeter (or high resistance test light)) between the ground and battery and the slow process of pulling fuses and power till you know whats pulling what

sorry man  the process sucks 

I also try and remember whats newest and check it first, usually its the new stuff that you think   no f.ing way but yeah uh huh 

Yeah I've got a buddy that's excellent at load testing. Trucks getting towed to him now. I don't think my navigator likes this self exciting regulated 320 amp alternator. I'm swapping back to a high-output 200-amp with factory plug. And a 370 amp GM alternator in my secondary location. 

Does that Bart just keep going dead on you when the truck is shut off or is it dying while the truck ia running?

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

What is the voltage of that self-regulated alt?   The alt i ordered is gonna be 14.9v so im just wondering if i should just buy 14v bats or 12v and charge to 14.9.  And if so would cheaper bats fail faster then good name brand ones with virgin lead? 

Sundown NSV4 18"  +  Sundown SALT-4 Baby

MechMan Elite 370a  +  XS3100 - XP3000

SHCA 1/0 OFC(blue+  SMD Fuse Holders(blue)

Pioneer AVH-2440NEX  SHCA Pro RCA 

5 minutes ago, Dragonsyph said:

What is the voltage of that self-regulated alt?   The alt i ordered is gonna be 14.9v so im just wondering if i should just buy 14v bats or 12v and charge to 14.9.  And if so would cheaper bats fail faster then good name brand ones with virgin lead? 

If its going to be charging at 14.9 you need 12v batteries.

14v batteries charge at about 16.8 volts.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

FWIW I ran 14v batts at 16.1-16.2v on my subaru successfully for a couple years without any stepdowns or other shenanigans.

Daily charge should be 2.3-2.4v per cell in temperate weather. Little higher if it's cold as hell. Little lower if you're in triple digits. I know folks go nuts and run higher into the 2.5-2.6v per cell range. Not going to get into that bit. But as a personal preference, I wouldn't want to charge at 14.9 on the daily.

For a 12v battery that would be 13.8-14.4v
14v: 16.1-18.8v
16v: 18.4-19.2v

3 hours ago, Broke_Audio_Addict said:

Does that Bart just keep going dead on you when the truck is shut off or is it dying while the truck ia running?

I put the new battery in it Wednesday morning and the truck's been driving fine until today when I went to pick my kids up from school. I did notice my headlights flickering the other day when I was behind somebody. it only did it a few times and then it stopped. But yes it did die while I was driving it. Luckily I just pulled up to the school so I sat there until the tow truck came. I wonder if the alternator regulator is acting up. My buddy said when he jumped started it the dash lights weren't working on any of the gauges and it died as soon as he went to pull it in to put it on the lift. He'll get it figured out. He said even if I need a new computer that they're very cheap on these. Something is shorted or the alternator isn't working correctly. this all started after I jump started my Maxima from a completely dead battery the other day. Toasted one battery and this one was at 9 volts when I put the multimeter on it. Something's drawing current though because the other day my battery was at 12 volts and the next morning when I checked it it was 6 volts. I don't know what's going on... I'm pretty green at this but that's okay this is how we learn. 

2 hours ago, Dragonsyph said:

My alternator always showed about 14.6-14.7 on my bass knob meter. I'm sure that's not the most accurate so I'm getting a couple SMD voltage displays. I'm going to monitor everything after this fiasco. 

It might be worth your time to re wire your vehicle as far as the big 3 goes. Run dedicated grounds if you need to. And convert the alt to external regulator to use one of the transpo units. Get a clean slate

Archived