Second Skin Audio

When is 1" mdf or thicker really necessary?

Hi Guys, was told recently that for big powerful setups, 3/4" mdf boxes might break apart. I don't see how if it's ported with a huge port, but i could be wrong? I was told this by a guy who builds alts and custom sub boxes, but i know plenty of other guys who do the same and they say 3/4" is just fine. Some other types of wood or fiberglass has also been experimented with but preferred is 3/4" mdf. What do you all think?

"When is 1" mdf or thicker really necessary?"

The short answer is never.  

If 3/4" MDF isn't strong enough there are lots of things you can do.  The first is to just use a stronger material,  good 3/4" plywood is much stronger (and by good I mean something with 7 or more equal thicknes plys), its also lighter, holds screws better, and is just much more pleasant to work with.  The second thing you can do is brace properly, bracing is the most effective use of material when it comes to adding strength.  The last thing you can do is double up your 3/4" material where its needed.  Its not always needed everywhere either, and doubling up where its not needed is just a waste of material, space, and weight.  

I've use 1" MDF once, because it was specifically requested by the customer.  I'll never do it again, my back still hurts from handling that sheet.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

4 minutes ago, eyeopeningepisode said:

all thread metal bracing you think?

That will work, its not my first choice for a number of reasons though. 

Here is a thread I made on bracing....NVM k58.cross beat me to it ?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

On 2/7/2019 at 9:09 AM, Triticum Agricolam said:

I've use 1" MDF once, because it was specifically requested by the customer.  I'll never do it again, my back still hurts from handling that sheet.  

Lol. I made my enclosure for my 3-12's out of 1 inch MDF... I loved it. It sounded deep and Rich. My new enclosure is 1 inch Baltic Birch braced well with three ¾" top baffles. Next enclosure will be a wall. I'm not looking forward to loading this fully loaded 1 inch Birchbox into the back of my truck haha

Archived