Second Skin Audio

Fi Q or BTL or another recommended sub for dc 2k (15 inch single sub)

Joshdashef

So my 2 Rockford p3d4s (600rms / 1000 peak) don’t seem to be doing it for me. I’m thinking about changing to a single 15 inch sub and redoing my trunk so I can seal it off into the cabin. 

It’s going to be a single 15 powered by a dc 2k. Mechman 240a XS power d3400 and d5100R / 0 gauge ofc 2 runs.

The subs I’ve been looking at are from fi. And the two models I’m looking at now are Q and BTL 

Q link https://ficaraudio.com/product/q-series-q15-ferrite/

BTL link https://ficaraudio.com/product/btl3-15/

I also heard good things about the mayhem subwoofers but anyone have any personal experience with any of these subs ??

I have about 4 cubic feet to work with maybe 5 if I make a dual section box. 

19 hours ago, Joshdashef said:

So my 2 Rockford p3d4s (600rms / 1000 peak) don’t seem to be doing it for me. I’m thinking about changing to a single 15 inch sub and redoing my trunk so I can seal it off into the cabin. 

It’s going to be a single 15 powered by a dc 2k. Mechman 240a XS power d3400 and d5100R / 0 gauge ofc 2 runs.

The subs I’ve been looking at are from fi. And the two models I’m looking at now are Q and BTL 

Q link https://ficaraudio.com/product/q-series-q15-ferrite/

BTL link https://ficaraudio.com/product/btl3-15/

I also heard good things about the mayhem subwoofers but anyone have any personal experience with any of these subs ??

I have about 4 cubic feet to work with maybe 5 if I make a dual section box. 

I’ve never personally owned Fi subs, but I have heard good things about them. If its in your budget, I’d go with the BTL. You get what you pay for. Make sure your system can handle whatever you go with electrically.

I'm a "Fi" guy. Ran many Fi/AA subs in my day.  Still do. 6 18s currently,  and plans for new Fi deltas are in the mix. I have a 4runner project I will be putting a SP4 in come summer. Fantastic drivers in my opinion. I myself, won't run anything else, not that there isn't rad drivers and makers of drivers. Because there is. I just like who and what I like. Just .02 from a dude that has ran, let's say, a couple drivers from that particular build house. 

I will say this,... if your in a rush, or your a impatient type of individual, you may wanna look else where. Build time can eat up a good chunk of time. 

This ↑↑↑↑ 100% 

I'm local to Fi in Las Vegas and sold my team 15's cause I'm an impatient asshole. Just speaking truth. Deaf Bonce if you want quality drivers rt off the shelf. You're gonna pay tho. $700 for a db315. If you're patient and don't mind waiting a couple months for a sub or even  recones... FI 

Well I figured if I ordered early I wouldn’t mind the build time. I plan on upgrading in July so that works for me. 

On 2/9/2019 at 4:38 PM, Kyblack76 said:

I'm a "Fi" guy. Ran many Fi/AA subs in my day.  Still do. 6 18s currently,  and plans for new Fi deltas are in the mix. I have a 4runner project I will be putting a SP4 in come summer. Fantastic drivers in my opinion. I myself, won't run anything else, not that there isn't rad drivers and makers of drivers. Because there is. I just like who and what I like. Just .02 from a dude that has ran, let's say, a couple drivers from that particular build house. 

I will say this,... if your in a rush, or your a impatient type of individual, you may wanna look else where. Build time can eat up a good chunk of time. 

The sp4s are 3500 rms so I didn’t think I’d have enough power to get them moving. However, the sp3s are 2500 rms. Would those suit a single dc 2k better ? Or would I need to get another dc 2k in slave mode (or 4K equivalent) to power either properly for a 4 cubes box. 

Also what is the difference between the sp3 and 4 versus the plus variants ? Better internals ? 

—————-

I also plan on getting a 45ah limitless lithium if I ever go to increase the sub power past 2k since adding another alternator is out of the option with such a tiny engine bay. So as far as electrical I figured that’d be stable enough. 

5 hours ago, Joshdashef said:

Also what is the difference between the sp3 and 4 versus the plus variants ? Better internals ? 

—————-

I also plan on getting a 45ah limitless lithium if I ever go to increase the sub power past 2k since adding another alternator is out of the option with such a tiny engine bay. So as far as electrical I figured that’d be stable enough. 

The sp3 and sp4 have an additional magnet slug that adds motor Force capabilities. If I'm not mistaken it makes it more applicable for 6th and 4th orders. You won't need a 4-inch coil subwoofer at all. What the amplifier you have a nice 1500-2000 RMS driver would be great. You could go with something optimized for a round 3.5 ft³. A DC XL 15 or Fi BTL would be great. 3" coils and great sound for SPL geared drivers. A 15" BTL if you want Fi would be great. DC is pricey. you get more bang for your buck with Fi without question. Look into soundqubed hdx3 also. Just a suggestion

On 2/9/2019 at 4:37 PM, slowfkncar said:

Cant speak for the new btl but if its anything like the previous model in terms of performance and power handling, I would hate to pick it over a Q on 2kw daily. 

So your saying the q would be better than the BTL ? What’s your experience with this I’d love to know 

3 hours ago, Joshdashef said:

So your saying the q would be better than the BTL ? What’s your experience with this I’d love to know 

"Better" is subjective to your goal, if your goal is for a daily musical setup with good LFE on 2kw, the Q would likely be a better choice for you. If you plan to throw more power and chase numbers then yeah, btl all the way.  

Both woofers will be perfectly fine off a 2kw amp but both will perform significantly different from each other, especially on music with a 2kw amp.

58 minutes ago, slowfkncar said:

"Better" is subjective to your goal, if your goal is for a daily musical setup with good LFE on 2kw, the Q would likely be a better choice for you. If you plan to throw more power and chase numbers then yeah, btl all the way.  

Both woofers will be perfectly fine off a 2kw amp but both will perform significantly different from each other, especially on music with a 2kw amp.

When you say good LFE are you referring to low frequencies? 

Heres a thought. What if I were to use the SP4v2 https://ficaraudio.com/product/sp4-series-sp415-v2/  on the single dc 2k until I upgrade to a more powerful amp and electrical system? ie. another dc 2k or a single more powerful amp like a 4k/5k with some lithium to back it up? 

If I were to do this I assume I would need to build two boxes, one made for the sp4 with 2k and one with for 4k/5k 

Archived