Sundown Audio

Amp has more power than subs

CodyDaGoat

Hello,

so Im in the process of upgrading my sundown 15s to a much louder setup. I sold the amp the sundown 15s were on, and while I slowly buy everything I need for my new setup (to handle it electrically) I still have my sundowns and a amp rated to 2500 watts at 1 ohm which i will use later for one of my orion subs. If I want to run this amp on my sundowns (rated 750 watts rms each) at 1 ohm. How would I tune the amp to make sure the subs arent distorting? I have an oscilloscope to set the gains normally, but would that cause distortion to the subs since their rated 1000 watts lower than the amp? 

I'm guessing you have an Orion XTR 2500.1dz? At 1 ohm you're absolutely safe to let her rip. You won't see that 2500rms under any circumstances for 2 reasons.

1) impedance rise is real!

2) you cannot wire that amp down under any circumstance. It's a full bridge amp that runs really hot if not provided with at least 2 g31 AGM batteries or better. 

I clamped around 1800 RMS with mine with stout electrical. Mechman 270 alternator and 2 g31 batteries. Wired to 1 ohm on a FI team 15. This is assuming you're running that amp. Even still that one ohm you're not going to see an amplifiers rating. Those are really good boards for running at 1 though.

1 hour ago, DiBo said:

I'm guessing you have an Orion XTR 2500.1dz? At 1 ohm you're absolutely safe to let her rip. You won't see that 2500rms under any circumstances for 2 reasons.

1) impedance rise is real!

2) you cannot wire that amp down under any circumstance. It's a full bridge amp that runs really hot if not provided with at least 2 g31 AGM batteries or better. 

I clamped around 1800 RMS with mine with stout electrical. Mechman 270 alternator and 2 g31 batteries. Wired to 1 ohm on a FI team 15. This is assuming you're running that amp. Even still that one ohm you're not going to see an amplifiers rating. Those are really good boards for running at 1 though.

Yes thats the one thats on the way. This is on my stock system with an optima and the big 3 done. With my new system, im running two of these amps ( not strapped) 1 per 2 ohm sub so that each is wired to 1 ohm. Im also going to be using a mechman 270 Amp alt, and 3 xs power d3100 batteries along with my optima under the hood 

2 hours ago, CodyDaGoat said:

But since I am on my stock system as of right now I should be able to just tune it notmally with my oscilloscope and I should be fine then? 

I would not run that amplifier on stock electrical. I tried that for a couple days and was dipping down to flat 11v. 

Archived