Second Skin Audio

Stereo bass vs dual mono and bandpassing smaller subs for higher frequencies

moondingo

So I might have some spare cash and want to do some work with my subs, I have a pair of dc level 2’s hooked up in parallel to a hifonics hifi for a claimed 1000w rms load. Probably closer to 750. I love how my subs hit in rap and electronic, but they don’t sound as good for acoustical bass. So first I was going to try a Better amp and I was wondering if there is any advantages to running a designated left and right sub or if it won’t effect imaging at all either way. I mean I know you can’t localize basswith your ears but I can defiantly feel which side is firing off. Secondly since I know these are designed to be ground pounders if i could buy 2 8 or 10 inch shallow mounts to put above them in a separate box that I build kind of like a desk that the 12s can sit under that are more acoustical and bandpassed for a 60 to 120 hz range. I’d have gain knobs on each amp to phase one set in or out based on the music. Is this possible or am I just imagining a amateur trunk clusterfuck?

Yes bass from actual instruments vs that dj style and by as good I mean I feel like they are just better suited for strong heavy low bass and doesn’t recreate someone playing like a bass guitar very well. Sounds bloated and undefined unless that’s from trying to pass threw the seats. They are plenty loud, I can hear my gf comming from 1/4 mile away if she’s in a good mood.

I thought maybe having a pair that fire up closer to the deck would help some of the notes enter the cabin more freely and getting a sq pair would be a bit better. Plus I think having those set stereo would allow for better imaging as they would be playing higher bass that would want to be on the same side as it is upfront where the cross over point is but I’m still learning and can’t always get the answer to my questions on google.

Sub bass frequencies are from 70 htz to 20 htz. You’re not going to get much musical definition with an EQ while being heard a half a mile away  ... Nice try

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

I don’t believe I ever said anything about wanting musical definition from half a mile away. I was answering that by as good I don’t mean loud, they are loud as fuck. I Want to be able to phase out the super low end by turning down gain to the dc’s for subs that can handle musical instruments Better without having to unhook the dc’s. I like my dc’s. Just not for bass guitar. Wasn’t sure if I could do this or if the drivers would still cancel each other out. The dc’s are too loud at 70-80hz so I only have them at 60 and wanted something that could do the higher end sub and lower end midbass. I’m pretty sure most instruments don’t go lower then 40hz anyway and even that’s only a few.

just get a decent sub that can work in a sealed box, put that on it's own amp and above your speaker box if that's what you want.  the sealed enclosures tend to be more suited for sq which is ultimately what you're asking for.  sq over spl.  there's a guy on here that did something similar, i'll see if i can find his build log

looked through 25+ pages of build logs and it didnt stand out.  i know it was an older ford (i think) truck with a shell on the back and he had a bunch of stuff back there.  mostly budget stuff but he was super happy with it

Archived