Battery Tender

Any advice or experience would be very appreciated. 

Is it possible and okay to have a battery tender mounted (somewhere in the engine bay of course). It would allow to basically just connect an extension cord to your vehicle to charge the battery(s). Has anyone done this or have any advice on it?

Leaving it in the engine bay would likely expose it to the elements, i.e. hitting a puddle will splash water up into your engine bay and in turn that batt tender. I don't think that'll be a good idea, unless you could incase it somehow to be waterproof and away form any major heat sources.

With something like that I don't see the issue then. I was thinking of my xs power charger with open fan holes and such, that'd be a no go.

You ever considered a quick disconnect type tender? That you just bring out to the car when you want to use it. 

That’s what I was trying to find, something with a quick connect/disconnect. The one I previously posted has that so I was going to give it a try I think. Not super expensive and sounds like what I’m looking for.

My ctek charger has different sets of leads for connecting to a battery, that attach to the charger via quick disconnect. Much easier to install two leads with ring terminals to the battery and detach the quick disconnect when you dont want to use the tender than find a place to mount a tender.

I I ran a system like this... 80 amp alt and a 4 big ass batteries.  It would drop to 12.5 quick and hold pretty steady.  I mounted the charger to the fire wall and ran the cord up by the front bumper didn't even need to open the hood.  My system was a dc 3.5k at .5ohm.. 

1996 Chevy Tahoe

AKA My SQ Hoe

Pioneer AVH-X2800BS

Precision Power PC.18DS

MB Quart NA540.6

Skar Audio RP-2000.1D

55-3210 -  8 Inch MCM AUDIO SELECT

Rockville RXM64

Tymphany BC25SC06-04

Kenwood KFC-1795PS

Archived