Ground every battery in Bank to frame or...

I would think doing = amount of grounds to how many power wires you have coming from front would be good.

Sundown NSV4 18"  +  Sundown SALT-4 Baby

MechMan Elite 370a  +  XS3100 - XP3000

SHCA 1/0 OFC(blue+  SMD Fuse Holders(blue)

Pioneer AVH-2440NEX  SHCA Pro RCA 

28 minutes ago, Dragonsyph said:

I would think doing = amount of grounds to how many power wires you have coming from front would be good.

Yeah that's what I was just told too. I planned ahead and made 6 grounds from chassis when I first started my truck build. Now I've been told to ground my amps directly to my battery Bank. They said grounds front to back is best and ditch the chassis grounds. Told me to ground the front battery to frame 2x and then ground front battery to rear bank 2x. Then ground my amplifiers directly to the rear battery Bank. Forms a complete circuit. I don't have enough wire rt now to go front to back but that's what I plan on doing soon. Rt now I'm gonna use 3 grounds from chassis to my battery Bank then run a distro from rear batteries to my amps. 

Nice, ya I’m just gonna do ground to chasey from alternator and from front battery.  With two runs to the back and then two grounds from rear battery.  Should be enough I hope, only got 50 feet so we’ll see.

side note my mechman shipped and will be here Friday

and my d3100 should be here today, been told I’ll have to mod under the hood to fit it, I looked at the space and it looks so small for such a big car lol

Sundown NSV4 18"  +  Sundown SALT-4 Baby

MechMan Elite 370a  +  XS3100 - XP3000

SHCA 1/0 OFC(blue+  SMD Fuse Holders(blue)

Pioneer AVH-2440NEX  SHCA Pro RCA 

2 hours ago, DiBo said:

Yeah that's what I was just told too. I planned ahead and made 6 grounds from chassis when I first started my truck build. Now I've been told to ground my amps directly to my battery Bank. They said grounds front to back is best and ditch the chassis grounds. Told me to ground the front battery to frame 2x and then ground front battery to rear bank 2x. Then ground my amplifiers directly to the rear battery Bank. Forms a complete circuit. I don't have enough wire rt now to go front to back but that's what I plan on doing soon. Rt now I'm gonna use 3 grounds from chassis to my battery Bank then run a distro from rear batteries to my amps. 

Where'd you get this info? I too am wondering about ground runs up front vs using that extra wire to run more power... Everything I've read seems like an opinion, did you come across any test results? 

Vehicle: 2002 Ford Escape

Electrical: 275A Singer, 160ah XS/Yinlong lithium, 2,000farad XS Supercaps

Head Unit: Apple iPad Hi-Res Passthrough Topping d10s

Speakers: {ACTIVE} - (4) Arc Audio RS 6.0, (2) Arc Audio RS 4.0 & (2) Arc Audio RS 1.0

Sub Stage: (2) TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" 

Amplifiers: ARC Audio - (4)4200SE(comp modded, (2)4000SE 

Processing: Helix DSP Pro W/ Dash Mounted Director 

How big will your return wiring be though? Let's say you have however many batts and a bus bar connecting all their negatives. If you used wire from the bus bar to the front of the car, it would need to be sized for all the current you expect those batteries to supply right? So if you're supplying 10kW at 12.5V, that's 800A, and you'd need like 3 runs of 1/0 I think. <- And same from the front battery back to your positive bus bar.

If chassis ground is acceptable for big current like that, it would definitely be the cheaper option.

21 hours ago, jnasty said:

Where'd you get this info? I too am wondering about ground runs up front vs using that extra wire to run more power... Everything I've read seems like an opinion, did you come across any test results? 

Tech support at DC Audio. One thing I will say about DC Audio they will answer the damn phone and they will help you every time 30 minutes on the phone if it takes. Good... Great customer service. 

1 hour ago, k58.cross said:

How big will your return wiring be though? Let's say you have however many batts and a bus bar connecting all their negatives. If you used wire from the bus bar to the front of the car, it would need to be sized for all the current you expect those batteries to supply right? So if you're supplying 10kW at 12.5V, that's 800A, and you'd need like 3 runs of 1/0 I think. <- And same from the front battery back to your positive bus bar.

If chassis ground is acceptable for big current like that, it would definitely be the cheaper option.

My first power wire front to back is 2 / 0 gauge certified basshead ofc. My big 3 is the same. All 2/0 gauge. 3 grounds in the back is 2/0 and 3 are 1/0. My wire connecting my batteries is 2/0ga also. I'm going to add 1 ground from front battery to chassis ( there's 2 already up front) and a single 1/0 ga run front to back because Down4sound is out of 2/0ga. 

I'm going to utilize 3 grounds from chassis to rear bank and call it a day. The distro in the back is to keep 8 wires off of my battery terminals. I'll go half in probably. When down4sound gets more to 2/0gauge I'll go front to back with 1 power and 2 grounds. 

So if I read that right, are you mixing both chassis grounds and B>F runs for ground until more 2/0 comes in stock?

I guess my main question is, and I'm sure this has been asked a ton and I could just google it but, is there a significant reason to use wire runs instead of chassis ground especially with high currents? Only reason I could think of is the relatively poor conductivity of the chassis and inconsistency in the metal path due to mating surfaces, welds, etc. But are those reasons actually significant?

52 minutes ago, k58.cross said:

So if I read that right, are you mixing both chassis grounds and B>F runs for ground until more 2/0 comes in stock?

I guess my main question is, and I'm sure this has been asked a ton and I could just google it but, is there a significant reason to use wire runs instead of chassis ground especially with high currents? Only reason I could think of is the relatively poor conductivity of the chassis and inconsistency in the metal path due to mating surfaces, welds, etc. But are those reasons actually significant?

I've been told that grounding battery to bank completes the circuit. A chassis ground works especially when using a few but the best ( not my words) is grounding to the battery. 2 wires of power from FB to RB and equal or more grounds from FB to RB. 

Archived