Second Skin Audio

One Sundown 15 vs. Four Sundown 10s

image91

Good day all, looking for some opinions on how a single Sundown X-Series v2 15" would compare to four Sundown E-Series v3 10"? Same amp will be used. Orion XTR 2500.1dz. My thoughts are,

1. The recommended net volume requirement is 4.25 ft^3 on the 15" compared to 1.0 ft^3 x 4 on the 10s. Similar enclosure size.

2. The four 10s would have a cone area advantage. Does that mean high possibility of more output?

3. The four 10s will handle the power more effectively? My guess is yes, but thoughts?

4. Wondering which choice would have more low end output. Looking to have solid output between 26Hz & 34Hz comfortably.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks 😃

considering all things equal, I'd go with more cone area especially in this case. while you're considering depth, I tend to lean toward large subs. I just find that larger subs tend to have a more appealing sound when it comes to low end extension. is their a reason you're not considering 12s?

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

Thanks for the timely response bro! i was considering 12s but most of the 12s i had in mine have a recommended net volume of 1.75 ft^3 net. Even using three, although moving a bit more air theoretically than four 10s, would require a larger enclosure.

Two 12s would move more air than the single 15 but not by near as mch as four 10s.

i actually had three Elemental Designs 13ov.2 12s sealed for years. Before i could build a ported enclosure & power them properly, the spiders wore out on me. Was considering fitting new spiders but not sure yet. They would actually line up well with the amp & they are recommended 1.3 ft^3 net per sub which is not bad at all. Still an option in the back of my mind. Great subs imo.

2 U series 12s would have more output than all of the above. Cone area only goes so far. For instance... My single zv5 15 on an Orion XTR 2500. 1dz was louder than 2 sa12's at a lower frequency. 44hz peak @ 146db compared to 36hz peak @147 DB. Food for thought. U series are very musical and put in crazy work but if it lows you are looking for e series or U series won't get you there. E-Series 10'a most definitely won't get you there. I own four different series of Sundown woofers as we speak. I know them particularly well. High output at a low frequency is obtainable especially with X series and zv5. You might want to think about 3x10v2s. Food for thought. 

Thanks for the input bro. Makes sense. Problem is, i don't have the power to push two U-Series or multiple X-Series unfortunately. 

Wondering how two SA-12s will sound in a T-Line. My X-15 is currently in a T-Line & i find it hard to go back to a regular ported enclosure. A friend has an SA-10 in a T-Line & it plays 20-50 very well. The 25-35 is really solid. It has a lot to do with the enclosure. 

What frequency were your SA-12s tuned to bro? 

1 hour ago, image91 said:

Thanks for the input bro. Makes sense. Problem is, i don't have the power to push two U-Series or multiple X-Series unfortunately. 

Wondering how two SA-12s will sound in a T-Line. My X-15 is currently in a T-Line & i find it hard to go back to a regular ported enclosure. A friend has an SA-10 in a T-Line & it plays 20-50 very well. The 25-35 is really solid. It has a lot to do with the enclosure. 

What frequncy were your SA-12s tuned to bro? 

I tuned mine to 35hz but they most definitely could've been tuned lower. U series are efficient. You'd be surprised the output you can get at low wattage with those. I also ran 3x series 12s on just a 4K at .67. Did pretty well with that setup. Did lack authority though. And you are correct box sometimes is everything. 

Would feel under-utilized if i don't run at least rated or a little above rated power. There's no doubt in my mind that they will sound good, don't get me wrong. Knowing that they are not being used optimally, might be better to stick to two fully power SAs maybe. At least most people i know will recommend that. If i do decide to upgrade to a 3k then i'd consider them. Have heard great things about the U-Series ;)

When comparing cone area of 2 diff style subs you have to think of more than just the area. The cone acts like a piston and functions in 3 dimensions not just 2d surface area. The key to sound is that it is just moving air. If you take the cone area of the 10s x the xmech and the cone area of the 15 x the xmech I bet the 15 can move as much or more air than the 10s... 

Agreed. This is the main reason i asked because if i were straight up comparing cone area i'd know the answer but there's definitely more to it than that. Was hoping someone might have had experience with these two series & be able to give me a personal experience or similar. Appreciate you breaking it down the way you did. It would be a nice comparison to see if an X-15 could output just as much or more than four E-10s O_o

Archived