frame ground - ampacity?

how does grounding to the frame actually work? i started looking into electrical and i may be in one of those 'too deep' moments.

steel has like 5-10% the electrical conductivity as copper right? so if we are talking about the frame being a busbar then it stands to reason that the frame would need to be crazy thick to support the current transfer that a 0ga copper wire can handle.

so what is happening? is there just such a large pool of electrons in the frame that this some how changes the math?

with this thinking the new aluminum body vehicles would be far better in terms of electrics when installing amps then, no?

nothing, gutted

Your hoggin the blunt man 😂

There probably is a sound reason why it works but I’ve heard mixed things. 

1 You should ground to your frame!

or

2 You should have ground runs and power runs all the way to your alternator or battery

either way it works but as a matter of efficiency what is better? Idk but grounding to the frame seems a whole lot more cost effective once you do the big three.

40 minutes ago, ncc74656 said:

how does grounding to the frame actually work? i started looking into electrical and i may be in one of those 'too deep' moments.

steel has like 5-10% the electrical conductivity as copper right? so if we are talking about the frame being a busbar then it stands to reason that the frame would need to be crazy thick to support the current transfer that a 0ga copper wire can handle.

so what is happening? is there just such a large pool of electrons in the frame that this some how changes the math?

with this thinking the new aluminum body vehicles would be far better in terms of electrics when installing amps then, no?

Vehicles with a true frame have good ground capabilities. That's all I know. Keep it simple... Frames are thick and there's a lot of material to handle a lot of ground current. In my lowrider days we'd ground 10-16 batteries rt to the frame and run our batteries in series to so I know frames can handle a lot of juice. 

Yeah the sheer amount of metal is the thing. The reason a wire has a current limit is because it will heat up. The chassis or frame of your car is a big heat sink and thus should be able to handle TONS of current. But the real question is how much power is lost due to the lower conductivity of the metal and mating surfaces. Some stuff I read says the chassis or frame resistance overall is pretty small.

Resistance is what dissipates power because it creates a voltage drop. Electrical power dissipates in the form of heat~~~

Archived