Second Skin Audio

Factory Specs VS "The Math" for Port Area?

JeepGuy1988

2016 Jeep Patriot

I plan to start my next install for my daily driver, including to attempt at building my own box. I will be running 1 - Skar Audio VXF-15 DO on a Skar Audio SK2,500.1D @ 2ohms (1,450rms@2ohms for brake in). Along with a secondary battery for a little reserve when needed. My real questions come in the subject of my enclosure and port. Skar states the enclosure needs to be 3.25ft³ with a port area of 47.25in² @ 32hz. With that being said, when using Subbox.Pro my port width comes out to be roughly 3". I recently came across a post on a different forum posted here, stating that your port area should be roughly 65%-75% of the cone area. Using 75% of the cone area it would be 90.594in² making my port much wider as seen with almost any SPL type enclosure. With having multiple information available, I'm not sure as to witch way to turn being my first enclosure. 

I'm more than welcome to provide any further T/S information of the subwoofer in regards to helping me resolve this issue. Thank you for bearing with me through such a long post and I hope to receive some awesome back feed as well! 

I don't think it's just cone area, it's loosely based on volume of the box.. 12-16in^2 per cubic ft of volume I think. Don't quote me. I've went past this and while at low volumes I got way more output, (pretty sure larger port makes a more efficient enclosure) but when cranked up, the sub would get sloppy & want to bottom out. I think you'll be just fine with going a little more than the 47.25 but I wouldn't go to 90 in music 

Vehicle: 2002 Ford Escape

Electrical: 275A Singer, 160ah XS/Yinlong lithium, 2,000farad XS Supercaps

Head Unit: Apple iPad Hi-Res Passthrough Topping d10s

Speakers: {ACTIVE} - (4) Arc Audio RS 6.0, (2) Arc Audio RS 4.0 & (2) Arc Audio RS 1.0

Sub Stage: (2) TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" 

Amplifiers: ARC Audio - (4)4200SE(comp modded, (2)4000SE 

Processing: Helix DSP Pro W/ Dash Mounted Director 

Hopefully this helps bro:

From my understanding, the port area etc. recommended by the manufacturer takes into consideration their recommended power, tuning frequency & net volume. They also try to find a practical middle ground when it comes to performance & driver safety. In that way, your subwoofer plays comfortably while still giving an impressive amount of output & not having a huggeee enclosure.

When you change any of those factors, your port area should be adjusted acordingly. With that calculator, you can work with the space you available while trying to staying above the minimum port area requirement & as close as possible to the optimal port area.

Archived