JL AUDIO 1000/1 clipping

back to car audio years later, and first ever jl audio amp owner so far have 1000/1 and four cvt 10" kickers, so my ? is what causes clipping? low voltage? does the amp draw a lot of amps? subs start clipping at very low bass levels. should I get another battery or bigger alternator..? 

I don’t think the voltage an amp sees effects what the clipping point is. That’s all a matter of recording level, signal voltage, gains, and any bass boost levels you use (which should be none)

Both signal voltage level into the amp and the amp gain setting contribute to clipping.

Clipping happens when the output voltage capability of the amp is exceeded. That happens when you try to drive it too high via either a high volume, high gain, or a song who's frequency mix is too high in some region (bass EQ'd high for example).

Recommendations: Flatten your EQ and turn off all "bass boost" options both on the deck and your amp. Using the highest volume you like to listen at and the music track you know hits especially hard, set your amp gain a little below the clipping point.

Archived