Second Skin Audio

Subwoofer box way too small

Skarbo98

9 hours ago, k58.cross said:

It looks fun actually and I'd try to model it, but I can't find all the t-s params for the 555 model. Do you have them? I can find the SPL model specs easily though.

• 30cm subwoofer
  • výrobné číslo 026 z 555 kusov
  • výkon 3000 W rms
  • impedancia 2 x 2 Ohm
  • citlivosť 86 dB
  • frekv.rozsah 3 - 300 Hz
  • montážna hĺbka 218 mm
  • FS 33,8 Hz
  • Xmas 50 mm
  • Qts 0.48
  • Qes 0,55
  • Qms 3,63
  • Vas 20,5 L

Wierd language, but is it this you are missing?

8 hours ago, Skarbo98 said:
  • 30cm subwoofer
  • výrobné číslo 026 z 555 kusov
  • výkon 3000 W rms
  • impedancia 2 x 2 Ohm
  • citlivosť 86 dB
  • frekv.rozsah 3 - 300 Hz
  • montážna hĺbka 218 mm
  • FS 33,8 Hz
  • Xmas 50 mm
  • Qts 0.48
  • Qes 0,55
  • Qms 3,63
  • Vas 20,5 L

Wierd language, but is it this you are missing?

I used these numbers in Winisd and got something that should work. It's not all the t-s parameters, but I think it was enough. I also used Triticum's port area calculator to get a ballpark for how big the port should be. The only issue with his calc is that the port areas get large for high power, resulting in the need for a very long port or very large box. So I cut a middle ground...

Volume: 4 cubic feet (113.3 Liters)

Port: 8 inch diameter, 22 inches long

Tuning comes out to around 35 Hz. Response will be a little peaky at port tuning due to the extra volume, but you need the extra volume in order to compensate for the larger port, which is needed to minimize port compression, which results in dB loss.

I can't provide dimensions for the box though because I don't know what your vehicle can fit sorry. That should be easy with some basic math though, just account for the used up volume of the sub and port.

Cheers

edit - But damn, 50mm xmax that's way more than my sub lol. That thing will slam dude.

On 2/21/2019 at 4:06 PM, k58.cross said:

I used these numbers in Winisd and got something that should work. It's not all the t-s parameters, but I think it was enough. I also used Triticum's port area calculator to get a ballpark for how big the port should be. The only issue with his calc is that the port areas get large for high power, resulting in the need for a very long port or very large box. So I cut a middle ground...

Volume: 4 cubic feet (113.3 Liters)

Port: 8 inch diameter, 22 inches long

Tuning comes out to around 35 Hz. Response will be a little peaky at port tuning due to the extra volume, but you need the extra volume in order to compensate for the larger port, which is needed to minimize port compression, which results in dB loss.

I can't provide dimensions for the box though because I don't know what your vehicle can fit sorry. That should be easy with some basic math though, just account for the used up volume of the sub and port.

Cheers

edit - But damn, 50mm xmax that's way more than my sub lol. That thing will slam dude.

Thanks! I sure hope it will ;) Need to get some speakers too, thinking to have the port in the parcel shelf, and make a new parcelshelf with 2x8" w/ tweeters or 2x6.5" with tweeters and upgrade the front set, think it's like 4" + tweeters

54 minutes ago, Skarbo98 said:

Thanks! I sure hope it will ;) Need to get some speakers too, thinking to have the port in the parcel shelf, and make a new parcelshelf with 2x8" w/ tweeters or 2x6.5" with tweeters and upgrade the front set, think it's like 4" + tweeters

I don't know a whole lot about imaging, but I think Steve Meade generally says that mids and highs in the front of the vehicle is all that's needed, and back speakers didn't contribute a lot. I can't really say though because I haven't done a lot of that. My rear doors definitely add fill, but louder fronts probably would have too. My bro's car with 6x9's in the rear deck had a nice sound though. Let us know how that works out!

33 minutes ago, k58.cross said:

I don't know a whole lot about imaging, but I think Steve Meade generally says that mids and highs in the front of the vehicle is all that's needed, and back speakers didn't contribute a lot. I can't really say though because I haven't done a lot of that. My rear doors definitely add fill, but louder fronts probably would have too. My bro's car with 6x9's in the rear deck had a nice sound though. Let us know how that works out!

I will! Need to see when i get home how my economy is looking before i start building :) But to be honest, i have no idea if a 113.5L enclosure will fit with a 22" long port :S

26 minutes ago, Skarbo98 said:

I will! Need to see when i get home how my economy is looking before i start building :) But to be honest, i have no idea if a 113.5L enclosure will fit with a 22" long port :S

Well to give you an idea, my car is a little compact Ford sedan (the Fiesta lol). In that trunk I was able to fit a box 28"x24"x15" holding two 12's and a 19" long 8D aeroport, but the port stuck out half way of the box and I had to keep my back seats down. That box is over 5 cubic feet not counting the subs and port.

Archived