Sonic Electronix

Added a 3rd amp/sub and now system is quieter?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, slowfkncar said:

What if you leave the rca plugged in and pull the remote from one amp? Is it still soft?

I am not sure, I will have to try this one tomorrow. That will rule out RCA issues..

And yes, they get louder after unplugging the mids and high amp, any amp I unplug the RCA's from the whole system gets louder.

Ok, so I just went in the garage. Everything is connected, besides remote on the final amp. Everything is normal. As SOON as I touch remote on the final amp and the amp gets power (lights up) everything goes quieter. remove remote, its loud. I assume that rules out the RCA issues.

Should I run 3 separate strands of remote? My headunit I believe has 4 remote outputs. Would this fix my issue?

1 hour ago, RSmass said:

The reason for different amps I believe was either price or I couldn't find a zeus that was 3000 (4ch), I don't remember, but originally I was gonna connect all 3 to one amp.

They aren't out of phase.

I did not know that at all. Appreciate the information.

This was my first thought, I used my fluke DMM to measure it, disconnected all amps, got a reading from there, plugged one in, then the other, then the last, power wasn't an issue. and like I said I even tried to rev the car to put a load on the alternator and still no increase in audio output. 

HOWEVER if I disconnect ANY amp, it'll be louder, for example I disconnected the 3rd amp first, and it was louder, so I thought there was an issue with the amp from the factory, just a defective amp. To rule this out I disconnected the 2 type R's amp and tested it, no issue with the amp. I disconnected mids and highs amp and just left the bass, no issues there, but as soon as I plug in all 3, it seems under powered, and I'm not talking about removing the B+. I removed the RCA's so the amp wouldn't play.

I honestly have no idea if this has anything to do with it, but I forget from where I read this, but I was having an issue similar to this in my Tahoe and I think (I don't remember fully, it was like 3 years ago) someone said to put a relay on the remote? 

When you used your fluke were you playing music? 

36 minutes ago, RSmass said:

Ok, so I just went in the garage. Everything is connected, besides remote on the final amp. Everything is normal. As SOON as I touch remote on the final amp and the amp gets power (lights up) everything goes quieter. remove remote, its loud. I assume that rules out the RCA issues.

Should I run 3 separate strands of remote? My headunit I believe has 4 remote outputs. Would this fix my issue?

Instead of running so many remote wires get a relay and wire up a constant 12v+, ground, and remote wire as the signal wire then run the output into each amp. Should save the trouble of three remote runs.

1 hour ago, RSmass said:

So, I believe I asked for help, not for rude comments. If you don't like how I have my setup, then don't comment, simple as that. Don't assume anything. They are all in the same box, its a triple port 10 box, custom built to match the subs. I'm not someone to buy a whole bunch of stuff used and throw it in my car hoping for the best. Everything I have in my benz was bought brand new, box was designed specifically for the trunk of the benz and for the subs by a professional audio shop. 

So what is your definition of mismatched amps? Because all the amps are hifonics amps, I am not going to run all the same 2000 watt amps for everything when the system does not need that much power.

Define professional audio shop?

Because no professional audio shop would do such an install.

Are all the subs sharing the same airspace inside the enclosure as well?

Mismatched as in one 2k and one 1k on different subs in the same enclosure.

Just Because you bought it new doesnt mean you used it right, just saying.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

21 minutes ago, reedal said:

Do the mids and highs get quieter or just the subwoofers? 

Mids and highs get quieter also.

10 minutes ago, Joshdashef said:

When you used your fluke were you playing music? 

Yes, full volume. Measured when notes hit and everything, ran into a issue with power in my Porsche before and I solved it with the fluke, upgraded the charging system and added batteries.

7 minutes ago, Joshdashef said:

Instead of running so many remote wires get a relay and wire up a constant 12v+, ground, and remote wire as the signal wire then run the output into each amp. Should save the trouble of three remote runs.

Is there a specific type of relay to use?

Archived