Sonic Electronix

Added a 3rd amp/sub and now system is quieter?

In my benz I have a amp running to the mids and highs, (Main amp) my 2nd amp powers my 2 10s. and 3rd amp powers my 1 10. With the 2 amps the system was much louder, after I added the 3rd amp the system is quieter? does anyone know the reason why? here is how I have everything connected.

0 Gauge onto 2 batteries. Power/Ground. 0 Gauge from 2nd battery into distribution block. outputting 3 4 Gauge's into the amp Power/Ground. Big 3 under the hood. Remote wire is from main amp to 2nd amp, from 2nd amp to 3rd amp. RCA is from main amp IN, 6ft of RCA to Main amp OUT to 2nd amp IN, 6 ft of rca from 2nd amp OUT into 3rd amp IN.

If I unplug the RCA from the 3rd amp system is much louder, as soon as I connect the RCA system is quieter, anyone know the reason why? Charging system can handle it all. Even if I Rev the car to charge the alternator it's still quiet. 

No, because if I disconnect ANY amp it'll be louder, it doesn't matter 3rd amp or 2nd amp or 1st amp. 

Amps - Hifonics Zeus 600x4, 2000x4, 1000x4 (1st to last)

Subs Alpine type R and Elemental designs ek10 (Old school sub)

EK10 is connected to the 1000 in bridge to ONE CH. (So 500) (Amp is about 1/4 up, no clipping or anything)

Type R's are connected to the 2000 bridged in each channel. (Amp is 1/4 up, these subs are brand new and need to break in still)

600x4 is running to the mids and highs, tuned properly, till clipping then turned down a tad, can go max volume no clipping on mids and highs.

So you have mismatched subs and amps and likely multiple enclosures for the mismatched subs and you cant figure out in your mind what the issue is?

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

I’m confused 

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

26 minutes ago, Broke_Audio_Addict said:

So you have mismatched subs and amps and likely multiple enclosures for the mismatched subs and you cant figure out in your mind what the issue is?

So, I believe I asked for help, not for rude comments. If you don't like how I have my setup, then don't comment, simple as that. Don't assume anything. They are all in the same box, its a triple port 10 box, custom built to match the subs. I'm not someone to buy a whole bunch of stuff used and throw it in my car hoping for the best. Everything I have in my benz was bought brand new, box was designed specifically for the trunk of the benz and for the subs by a professional audio shop. 

So what is your definition of mismatched amps? Because all the amps are hifonics amps, I am not going to run all the same 2000 watt amps for everything when the system does not need that much power.

Uhh why two different amps for three 10s? Why not just the three on a single amp? 

If they’re out of phase you will definitely lose output from canceling out one another. 

Side note. Amps have defects from one another so they are slightly different even if they are the same brand and model.

another possibility is the third amp regardless of what one that is, happens to push your electrical system too much and is starving your amps so they are not performing optimal. Do you have a volt meter to check voltage on the go or a dmm to see that way ?

10 minutes ago, Joshdashef said:

Uhh why two different amps for three 10s? Why not just the three on a single amp? 

If they’re out of phase you will definitely lose output from canceling out one another. 

Side note. Amps have defects from one another so they are slightly different even if they are the same brand and model.

another possibility is the third amp regardless of what one that is, happens to push your electrical system too much and is starving your amps so they are not performing optimal. Do you have a volt meter to check voltage on the go or a dmm to see that way ?

The reason for different amps I believe was either price or I couldn't find a zeus that was 3000 (4ch), I don't remember, but originally I was gonna connect all 3 to one amp.

They aren't out of phase.

I did not know that at all. Appreciate the information.

This was my first thought, I used my fluke DMM to measure it, disconnected all amps, got a reading from there, plugged one in, then the other, then the last, power wasn't an issue. and like I said I even tried to rev the car to put a load on the alternator and still no increase in audio output. 

HOWEVER if I disconnect ANY amp, it'll be louder, for example I disconnected the 3rd amp first, and it was louder, so I thought there was an issue with the amp from the factory, just a defective amp. To rule this out I disconnected the 2 type R's amp and tested it, no issue with the amp. I disconnected mids and highs amp and just left the bass, no issues there, but as soon as I plug in all 3, it seems under powered, and I'm not talking about removing the B+. I removed the RCA's so the amp wouldn't play.

I honestly have no idea if this has anything to do with it, but I forget from where I read this, but I was having an issue similar to this in my Tahoe and I think (I don't remember fully, it was like 3 years ago) someone said to put a relay on the remote? 

Archived