Second Skin Audio

Looking to go from 2 to 4 subs and need amp recommendation

ColumbusJBR

Hey guys, a couple of years ago I installed in my 2009 Honda Ridgeline:

(2) Rockford Fosgate Punch P2D2 8" subs, wired to 2 ohms on a Alpine 500W amp.  In a home built ported box that goes under the rear seat, tuned to about 35hz.  Also have 4 mids/highs running of any alpine 50W/ch amp.

Anyway... Always looking to go bigger.  What I'm considering is doubling the subs in a sealed box, as I simply don't have the room to do four of those in a ported box.  That would be 4 P2D2 8s wired to 1 ohm and would need about 1000 watts.  A few questions:

1.  Am I crazy for wanting to do 4 sealed vs 2 ported?  I hate to abandon a ported box, but love the idea of 4 subs, and have the room to do it if sealed.

2.  Recommendation on the amp?  It needs to be rated for approx 1000W RMS @ 1 ohm.  Budget is ~$500.

3.  I currently have a 4ga power wire running to a distro block, but I'm considering running a 0ga.  Can my stock electrical system handle approx 1200 W or should I consider upgrading battery / alternator / big 3?  For what its worth, this isn't a burp mobile, its just for listening to music.

4. Assuming I run a 0ga and need to pare down to a 4ga and 8ga for the amps, i need a fused distro block, right?  Since I'm going from larger to smaller wire? If so, recommendations on fused distro blocks?

Thanks for any suggestions! You guys are the best!

1. there is a good chance you will not hear much of a gain. Having 4 subs will be more efficient but not being ported will hurt you.

2. Im a fan of Zapco. https://www.woofersetc.com/c-3-amplifiers/c-27-one-channel/st-1350xm-ii-zapco-monoblock-1350w-rms-class-d-amplifier.html

3. Looks like you have a 130 amp alternator so you should be good to around 1500 watts. doing a good AGM is never a bad idea.

4. Yes fused distribution block. NVX has a nice one. https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_45064_NVX-XFDBU2.html

0 Gauge run, 0 gauge big 3, SMD fuse block holders, Any RF mono amp thats stable at 1 ohms.

The only other thing i can think of that might help is a better 8" sub. Sundown comes to mind, 2 V2 or V3 on 1k would be louder imo. Few other brands that have good 8" subs. I think RF is OK but there are better 8" subs out there..

Archived