The Beginning....sorta.

GabeTheResearcher

So, yeah... I have a background in audio engineering and have spent lots of free time over the last several years learning about car audio with the desire to plan and build a great sounding SQ-oriented system in my Smart ForTwo (gas). I just started a sweet new job and FINALLY it's time to consult the pros (you guys) and start buying stuff! 😎 

Here's what I've decided on so far: 

3-way active front stage + sub centered around these: https://www.parts-express.com/morel-integra-424-hybrid-series-4-point-source-coaxial-full-range--297-024 

For midbass I'm thinking a pair of these: https://www.parts-express.com/peerless-by-tymphany-830946-6-1-2-paper-cone-woofer-speaker-4-ohm--264-1148, but I am open to suggestions if there's something you think would work much better. 

Due to obvious space constraints, and me not wanting a sub box sitting on top of the engine access hatch (in the rear), the only sub option I've seen that looks like it will help much is the CDT QES-820 in an under-dash box. Again, suggestions here are more than welcome, of course. 

For source and processing I wanna go with a new Joying Android HU (I know, but it's cool) using SPDIF output to a JL TWK 88. 

Amps is where I'm really lost. There are so many seemingly great options out there. Add to that, my electrical system upgrade options are limited. I can do a big 3/4 upgrade and swap out the stock battery for an AGM and that's about it. I don't know if there's anything that can be done about my 90a alt. 

I think I want a decent, not crazy high-end 5 channel to push the sub and bridge to the midbass, and a more high-end, SQey 4-channel to run the Morels. I've researched lots and lots of brands. I kinda want to be pointed in the right direction here. I really don't wanna spend more than $3K total on amps, but I'll go a bit higher if it will mean noticeable improvements in sound quality, longevity and efficiency. Also, I don't know how much headroom is enough. 

I plan to pay somebody to really go all out on the install, btw. 

Anyways, here's my car. ...cool, right? 

PicsArt_07-18-05_19.45-1048x810-723x559-701x542.png.f67af5c79cf365708ef269a773724121.png

• 2 weeks later...

Pics of stock locations would be nice to start giving advice.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Archived