Second Skin Audio

Slot port flares and bracing.

mfdoom7

what if i make slot port with rounded edges inside and outside ? will i loose or gain output ? Also do i need to brace subwoofer blox if its built with 22mm or 0.86inch OSB. we are talking about 1 15" on 1.2k rms right now box is tuned low 30hz. also what effect is on adding 45 to 90 corners. like this one

659800.jpg

549281_771_full.jpg

Having the corners rounded will help with air flow. Doubtful you will hear any difference. The more bracing the better.I would brace any panel over 12" just because the more rigid the enclosure the better. 

Why are you using OSB instead of MDF or Birch?

You want air to be able to flow through the port as smoothly as possible.  As such, rounding the inside and outside mouths of the port is a good idea.  This is also why adding the 45 pieces to the inside of the port like what shown in the picture you posted is also a good idea.  It helps the air make the 90 degree corner better. 

As far as bracing goes, I completely agree with ckeeler11, I brace any panel with more than a 10-12" unbraced span.  I almost always brace the baffle regardless of how large of panel it is.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

15 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

You want air to be able to flow through the port as smoothly as possible.  As such, rounding the inside and outside mouths of the port is a good idea.  This is also why adding the 45 pieces to the inside of the port like what shown in the picture you posted is also a good idea.  It helps the air make the 90 degree corner better. 

As far as bracing goes, I completely agree with ckeeler11, I brace any panel with more than a 10-12" unbraced span.  I almost always brace the baffle regardless of how large of panel it is.  

4.png

5.png

this is my current box. built with 22mm OSB and 45 on 90degree port and sanded off oposite side of 90. does brace give more output im my case ? or not worth it ? 

4 hours ago, mfdoom7 said:

4.png

5.png

this is my current box. built with 22mm OSB and 45 on 90degree port and sanded off oposite side of 90. does brace give more output im my case ? or not worth it ? 

With that design I would put a shelf brace linking your top, bottom, and port panels together.  You can cut holes in the brace so it takes up less internal volume.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived