Sundown Audio

Is 5000 to much or should i go with a 3500/3000.

Dragonsyph

Got my mechman 370 and all the electrical done, got the d3100s and a Nex head unit. Pretty much got everything I need now except the amp. 

The Sub is an NSv4 18" with RMS of 3000 watts.  3" coil.  Before i was going to eventually get two and use an orion 8k but iv already spent enough cash on this lol. So sticking with 1 sub. 

I planned on buying an Orion HCCA 5000.1dV2 but am getting paranoid I'm gonna blow up my sub as people have told me a 3" coil should never get more than 3500 for a daily.  

I can assume I could set the gain lower than usual to not be putting 5k+ into it? 

Im sure after rise etc i might be ok? 

Or would i be better of buying a 3k or 3.5k amp ?  Was looking at wolfman amp but seems there back ordered tell april, and a 3k Orion would be nice but there sold out everywhere for ever.  So is the XTR 4k.  Plenty of XTR 2.5k for 350 bucks though which seems good.

Sundown NSV4 18"  +  Sundown SALT-4 Baby

MechMan Elite 370a  +  XS3100 - XP3000

SHCA 1/0 OFC(blue+  SMD Fuse Holders(blue)

Pioneer AVH-2440NEX  SHCA Pro RCA 

It all depends on how well you know you're setup honestly....they can definitely talk WAY more power than rated don't let the 3in coil fool you...the cooling in that motor is ridculous...but it all goes back to knowing the limits of something...I have 2 of the Nsv4s in a 6th order with a sundown SCV7500d per at .5 and they've been on that power since October...they were previously on 2 scv6000s.....can I get them to smell? Sure if I'm stupid on the volume but for the most part they eat every thing I throw at them...im getting  7200 plus per on the SMD AMM-1  so they're definitely seeing power..... I'd get the 5k 

2000 Suburban 6 runs of 2/0

12 timpano audio mids,6 timpana audio tweets and 1 timpano compression horn per door 

8 banks of blue Maxwells + 260ah of Yin Long LTOs 

2 370 Amp Autotech Alts 

mids amps 2  Crescendo Skyway 3ks 

Tweet amp Crossfire 2000.4

sub amp: 4 Crossfire XT 8ks

Subs: 8 18 in Crossfires in a 4th order

Best Scores at events…

161.6@38hz DBdrag  sealed on the dash… 162.54 outlaw…161.14 Meca headrest 

I get nervous playing the lies while overpowering. I have never heard what it sounds like hitting the mechanical limits of a sub so I just get scared that I'm not gonna hear it and tear my stuff up so my last setup I didn't like to play under 27. It all goes back to knowing your system but I don't want to spend the money to know my system lol.

Sitting around waiting to be installed:

4 FI X 10

270 CES alt

D3400/73ah lithium

AA 3800.1

(2) AA 75.4

8 hours ago, kalilac619 said:

It all depends on how well you know you're setup honestly....they can definitely talk WAY more power than rated don't let the 3in coil fool you...the cooling in that motor is ridculous...but it all goes back to knowing the limits of something...I have 2 of the Nsv4s in a 6th order with a sundown SCV7500d per at .5 and they've been on that power since October...they were previously on 2 scv6000s.....can I get them to smell? Sure if I'm stupid on the volume but for the most part they eat every thing I throw at them...im getting  7200 plus per on the SMD AMM-1  so they're definitely seeing power..... I'd get the 5k 

Thanks mate, just the kind of first hand information I like.  Just wanna make sure before I spent the cash.  Thanks again mate.

7 hours ago, shredder2 said:

@dragonsyph ... sound familiar?

Lol yes, you know me, ask a million questions lol.  Soon enough I’ll be hitting you up for a box design 8). 

40 minutes ago, Wishuponasub said:

I get nervous playing the lies while overpowering. I have never heard what it sounds like hitting the mechanical limits of a sub so I just get scared that I'm not gonna hear it and tear my stuff up so my last setup I didn't like to play under 27. It all goes back to knowing your system but I don't want to spend the money to know my system lol.

Ya same here I just wanna be triple sure, I’ll be tuning to 28hz with 25hz subsonic.

Sundown NSV4 18"  +  Sundown SALT-4 Baby

MechMan Elite 370a  +  XS3100 - XP3000

SHCA 1/0 OFC(blue+  SMD Fuse Holders(blue)

Pioneer AVH-2440NEX  SHCA Pro RCA 

Lean away from XTR 4000 if you happen to find one. The 2500 after rise will give you around 1600-2000 watts. Speaking from experience with the XTR amps. They thermal quickly even with good electrical. You can't adjust the subsonic either. Wolfram... I ran a w 4500.1 on a zv5 @.5 and it was good besides the heat. Orion and Wolfram are kind of cheap. They're not very efficient either. I didn't understand this until I got a better built amplifier. The quality control on the Wolfram sucks and the heat sink on the orions suck. Wolfram is definitely a run-of-the-mill off-the-shelf parts company. Using buyers money to supply their demand. No knock on Colin but his products suck. Look into crescendo Audio new line or Deaf Bonce for high quality at a upper middle tier cost. Definitely want an amplifier with clipping detection. I was surprised the different levels of clipping for different songs. A crescendo 4K would be excellent. Deaf Bonce 4k also. After that crossfire, Ampere ( no clip light tho) 5k or sundown 4k ( check Facebook to find one of these for $700). trust me you have a nice foundation don't cheap out on your amplifier. 

Btw... It would take a good 4-5k amp @.5 to even start to give that sub anywhere near 3.5 k. Impedance rise is real and you'd be lucky to not have at least 2.5-3x rise. Wiring @1ohm? Look at the 4ohm rating for an idea of what you are more than likely to get. No bulshit. With quality electrical do not be afraid to run at .5 daily. I can't stress a clip light on your bass knob enough tho!! You have a mean ass subwoofer. I have a buddy running two NS2 amps @.5  to 4 nsv4 subs @1 ohm strapped! .5 each. It's a tad much but he's rising like yeast. Tune to 32 and set subsonic around 27hz. When you get your setup playing download a good car audio app with a tone generator... Then adjust your subsonic using a tone. You'll learn as you play with it. You can ask a million questions on here but experience trumps all. I'm by no means an expertbut I've gotten a lot of experience the past fifteen months and had to learn some things the hard way. Just my opinions. Bass up! 

Yep get a bigger amp if you're going to wire to 1 ohm. Other option is to wire down, but you already bought the DVC 2ohm sub right. As long as you set your gain properly, watch for clipping, and regularly check how hot your sub/amp is getting you'll be good. Impedance rise means you will not get the 1-ohm rated wattage if you're actually wired to 1 ohm. And as for bottoming out, takes a lot of power to do that and you can set the subsonic filter to protect against it since it's really just a threat at very low frequencies and oversized boxes.

4 hours ago, Dragonsyph said:

Lol yes, you know me, ask a million questions lol.  Soon enough I’ll be hitting you up for a box design 8). 

So easy to overthink and second guess trying to save a $. 

You'll be happier in the end with a nice quality amp with clipping indicator and adjustable Ssf imho

And yeah just let me know when you are ready to build the enclosure...

2E0PJO.jpg

Assuming that you don't change your mind again ive still got it drawn-up and saved.

Archived