Second Skin Audio

HELP!! Custom Ported/Vented Box for 2014 Mustang

Greenfun13

Hello Everyone! 

Been reading and learning from this forum for years, but finally made an account so I could make my first post! I am looking for a design I can build myself or if anyone knows of a box builder in the Los Angeles area (91745 to be even more specific)

My newly updated setup:

2014 Mustang GT/CS

·         Northstar 67ah AGM battery

·         Stock 160 amp alternator (FOR NOW, will upgrade to Mechman 240 amp soon)

·         Big 4 done in 0/1 gauge.

·         0/1 power wire running to trunk.

·         JBL 660Gti components up front running passive

-Powered by an old school RF Power 400.4 (bridged giving ~275wrms to each side)

JBL 529GTO Coaxial Rear Fill

-Powered by headunit

·         One Sundown Audio U-12 (dual 4 ohm)

-Powered by an old school RF T20001bd (birthsheet shows ~2200wrms @ 2ohm)

-Calls for 2 cu ft ported box.

·         Currently in a Qbomb side ported box:

Air Space: 1.8 Cubic Feet
                 Height: 13.5"
                 Width: 22"
                 Depth: 15"

Tuning Frequency: 43HZ

I am VERY happy with the way my system sounds right now but have been doing a TON of reading on the importance of a proper box to match your sub. This bring me to my request for help. The Mustangs trunk is NOT level. Three quarters of the way to the back seats the floor of the trunk steps up a few inches making it difficult to mount a rectangle box flat.  

I listen to a wide variety of music from: Dubstep to Classic Rock so maybe ideal tuning would be around 34-38hz? 

LASTLY, I can angle my box to fit on the rear hump and slid all the way back, but that points the sub at a slightly downward angle towards the trunk floor. Is that bad? 

Thank you to everyone in advance for taking the time out of your day to help me.

Anthony

IMG_20190223_180627.jpg

I couldn't add more then one picture at a time due to size restraints. But here is the box sitting flat pushed all the way back until it hits the hump. The second picture is of a "custom" box made to fit the 05-14 Mustangs, note how the bottom of the box steps up to clear the hump in the trunk. 

IMG_20190223_142455.jpg

TANG210P.jpg

2 hours ago, Greenfun13 said:

I am looking for a design I can build myself

·         One Sundown Audio U-12 (dual 4 ohm)

-Powered by an old school RF T20001bd (birthsheet shows ~2200wrms @ 2ohm)

This might fit... 

q60nsZ.jpg

Those Mustangs are a smallish trunk for sure, actually got a pair of decent 12's in there once and it turned out nice (had to build 2 enclosures just to get em' in there).

If that ^^^^ looks like what your looking for message me and we'll go from there.

16 minutes ago, shredder2 said:

This might fit... 

q60nsZ.jpg

Those Mustangs are a smallish trunk for sure, actually got a pair of decent 12's in there once and it turned out nice (had to build 2 enclosures just to get em' in there).

If that ^^^^ looks like what your looking for message me and we'll go from there.

Thank you for the quick reply! That box design WOULD work if I slide it all the way back over the hump so that the box and sub is  slightly angled down as shown in picture #1. 

I realize the pictures arent the best, but how much of a difference will it make by having the sub aimed partially at the trunk floor?

If I level the trunk to match the hump (hump is from the factory) it would not leave me with much height for the box, and leave me with even less usable trunk space. 

I am at work right now, but just ran out and snapped a few more pictures at various angles. If I push the box all the way back so its at an angle (picture #1) I could fit a ~2.5" spacer UNDER the box to help level it out before I run into my rear deck speakers. 

IMG_20190228_122210.jpg

Try turning the sub to face your interior instead of the trunk. Could go for a sealed trunk that way and get rid of a lot of trunk rattles. 

Any plans to get another 12 to wire down to 1 ohm ? If so I’d wait to build a box for the two instead of just the one. 

10 minutes ago, Joshdashef said:

Try turning the sub to face your interior instead of the trunk. Could go for a sealed trunk that way and get rid of a lot of trunk rattles. 

Any plans to get another 12 to wire down to 1 ohm ? If so I’d wait to build a box for the two instead of just the one. 

ZERO plans on adding a second sub. I am still breaking in this single U-12 and I feel it will be plenty. 

Interesting idea on turning the box around. Never even crossed my mind. lol Ill spin it around for the drive home from work today and see how it sounds. 

Generally speaking, how much room do you need in front of a subwoofer? (AKA between my backseat and sub if I turn it around) Is ~3-5 inches okay? 

Archived