Dd 1 distortion detector help

hello I recently purchased a distortion detector and the problem is I have a BMW 3 series and it does not show the volume level, How would I use this properly without knowing the acutally volume level that its at?, it's the navigation headunit type,

Plus if I remove the subwoofer speaker wire from the amp, the door speakers still play loud from the Cd tracks is that normal ? becuase in YouTube videos i see online i dont hear any sound while they set their gains.

2 Amps: Mrv500, do I set the LP filter back to 80hrz after its tuned?

2 subwoofers: Pioneer TS-W309D4 12" Champion Series Subwoofer with Dual 4 Voice Coil

Edited by Mr.Angel
fixed information

When you use the dd1 you should unhook all speaker outputs from the amps regardless if it’s sub or a 4 channel for mids and highs

Theres only a sub connected to the amp, which I do unhook, it's just the factory speakers that play the noise from the track which i don't know how to unhook unless i open the door panels and do it like that,

But my main question is, how do I even set gains properly if my headunit does not show the volume level ? 

2 hours ago, Mr.Angel said:

?^

Sorry you didn’t specify if you had a 4 channel. One option is to disconnect the speakers at the speaker terminals and I think that is one of the only ways to do it with a oem Headunit. The tweeters likely have a crossover so you could just unhook the mids and use the 40hz test tone to tune the amp. 

How are you getting your signal for the sub amp? Rear speakers ? Line output converter ? High level inputs ? 

Edited by Joshdashef

7 minutes ago, Joshdashef said:

Sorry you didn’t specify if you had a 4 channel. One option is to disconnect the speakers at the speaker terminals and I think that is one of the only ways to do it with a oem Headunit. The tweeters likely have a crossover so you could just unhook the mids and use the 40hz test tone to tune the amp. 

How are you getting your signal for the sub amp? Rear speakers ? Line output converter ? High level inputs ? 

I use a line output converter, so only thing connected to the amp is the sub and rca, so if i were to disconnect the speakers I would have to do it by opening the panels apart right?

you’d have to take the panels off youtube has tons of tutorials just get a pair of panel tools you’ll be set

1 hour ago, Joshdashef said:

you’d have to take the panels off youtube has tons of tutorials just get a pair of panel tools you’ll be set

the thing is the headunit doesnt display the volume level, so I won't know what volume level it distorts at, any suggestions?

Option 1) use an aftermarket head unit

Option 2) buy an SMD OM-1 and mount it where you can see it and then use that to monitor when you turn the volume up to much.

Option 3) turn volume up to max clean point, then set amp gain using that, but be conservative that way if/when you do go past that, it wont be as bad..... but i dont actually recommend this.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1