Infinity reference 6.5, active or passive 2 way?

ehall8702

Have a 4 channel ( 80x4@4) and a single pair of miss/highs and an active xover and passive xover ( ones that came with components) .  Should I wire it up active or stick to passive xover on 2 channels? Any benefits or downfalls of either setup besides level adjustment of each driver if active? 

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

Passive = only two channels needed, tweeter protection is included & crossover frequency & slope is already set.

Active = ability to swap drivers individually, change crossover settings on the fly, no power loss/saturation from a passive board resulting in more spl at the same power level, an overall more efficient system.

Honestly, i don't think i would drive that amp into those tweets while active, id probably just rock it in passive while bridged or bi-amp if the crossover allows. 

Passive 2-way: can be easier to tune. Simpler set up but can sound great. Only need a 2 ch amp. Less power to speakers w/ xover inline.

Active 2-way: more wiring, harder to tune, more power and could damage speakers if not crossed over properly or gains set right. Louder with more power.

If you have the skill set to tune properly then active. If you want it simple keep it passive.

Tweeters generally don't need a ton of power to do there job. If your using super tweeters keeping up with 6 18" on 40,000 K  sure but a basic system with tweeters needs less IMO.

My blazer had 10 runs of 14 gauge speaker wire from.front to back ( 3 to each door and 2 to each dash corner) for expandability,  plan on adding a few extra runs in my truck ( gonna be a carpet out, soundeadening install so I can run whatever wherever). I'm going to eventually get a second set of the same references and some kick pods.  I don't like passive xover if possible, but my active doesn't have adjustable slope, only freqs ( has bandpass functions also so I can cut highs and lows out of midbass too). I can find the passive xover settings and replicate it on the active xover,  but tweeters.are small and probably easily over powered, Im sure if I dial gain back it'd probably be fine.  should I just wait.till I get a second set tho? Is the benefit worth the risk? The amp is a ppi ice1000.4 

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

Archived