Need help with this EQ/DSP

I've got a new to me headunit, it only has a 9-band crossover no time alignment options that I'm aware of, my previous Pioneer had a 13-band and no time alignment.

I haven't installed the new headunit yet but I am worried there will be some drop-off in sound quality and also I fear I'll lose the ability to tune as many frequencies like with the 13-band eq on the pioneer. 

What are some DSP's or Equalizers that would help me to be able to fine-tune my system better or at least to the same effects of the old pioneer I used to have? I hope this all makes sense, lol.

The headunit I got is a Advent OGM-1 if interested.

6 hours ago, ToNasty said:

What's your budget and are tou wanting 2 or 3 way?

My budget  will be about $300-$400. 

I really have 0 personal  experience with EQ's and DSP's and I only vaugely know about the Audiocontrol Epicenters and the Rockford 3sixtys....

I am pretty sure I'll just stick with 2-way for now, I don't really have plans to do a 3-way setup. 

12 hours ago, ToNasty said:

Dayton dsp. Cheap and affective. They're like 150-200

Yo man, thanks for the recommendation. That helps me a lot because before this thread I had no idea initially what I needed to look for. 

I was doing a little reading about the Dayton DSP, well I read that the Dayton's maximum input voltage is <3.2V. a guy was mentioning that using this dsp with a deck that has 4v pre-out voltages or higher could probably cause clipping unless I limited the volume at the headunit, not a bad thing I guess as long as I keep the volume below a certain point but I just kinda want to eliminate that possibility of clipping if possible. 

I found the Rockford Fosgate DSR1, it's a little more expensive @ $270 but I think it'll be worth it to have a better, cleaner sounding system without much probability of clipping. I've also added the Digital Designs DSI-2 to the list which is only $20 more than that fosgate DSR1. 

1 hour ago, Rockbrook said:

Yo man, thanks for the recommendation. That helps me a lot because before this thread I had no idea initially what I needed to look for. 

I was doing a little reading about the Dayton DSP, well I read that the Dayton's maximum input voltage is <3.2V. a guy was mentioning that using this dsp with a deck that has 4v pre-out voltages or higher could probably cause clipping unless I limited the volume at the headunit, not a bad thing I guess as long as I keep the volume below a certain point but I just kinda want to eliminate that possibility of clipping if possible. 

I found the Rockford Fosgate DSR1, it's a little more expensive @ $270 but I think it'll be worth it to have a better, cleaner sounding system without much probability of clipping. I've also added the Digital Designs DSI-2 to the list which is only $20 more than that fosgate DSR1. 

Dsr 1 is ok 

My personal favorite is the Helix, but I would pic the Dayton unit over Anything you listed. Just Saying 

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Yeah you both are right. After reading more , I think I might just try the Dayton out first, it's cheaper  and effective like you say. I'll just be conservative with the volume and if I don't like it I can always resell it. I would love to be able to try something like that Helix but for now that's a little out of my price range lol. 

Just to confirm, the Dayton Audio DSP-408 is the correct model from Dayton to check out right? 

I really appreciate ya guys for chiming in too. 

• 5 months later...
On 3/8/2019 at 11:12 AM, Rockbrook said:

Almost every headunit clips it's output before max volume anyway, if you watch the SMD videos on youtube he checks for this every single time with a DD-1 because every HU is different, just the way it is. Any system has the opportunity for clipping and every knowledgeable audio guy from car audio to concert audio engineer needs to know how conservative they need to be with gains/volumes. Properly setting the gains (and volume limits if available) from beginning to end is mandatory!

Archived