Second Skin Audio

Sundown Xv2 15 - Port & Box Volume

1 hour ago, DiBo said:

Those Brutus aren't 3000 RMS. I've had those before also when I first started. They do rt around 1800 RMS. Big D wiz put it on the dyno. Check you tube for full results. [email protected] so after impedance rise he'll probably see around 800-900 watts if he rises minimally. Your box design is perfect for that power. 

Food for thought... Unless you're wiring down don't look to get anywhere near rated power. For instance, for me to see 8000 watts out of both of my AAK-4000.1d amps I'd have to wire them strapped at .66 ( .33 ohm each). They clamp around [email protected].   At 1ohm reactive ( wired to subs) they clamp around 2000 watts depending on impedance rise. You lose a lot of power with a reactive load. 

I saw that video, it's actually one of the reasons I suggested the amp to my buddy. On music, it did quite a bit over rated power, so that's where it matters most to me... We got his wired at 2 ohm strapped, so both amps should be seeing 1 ohm each, correct?

I got his amps at a lil under half power n his current HDC3s are havin trouble keeping up.

This is a video of his current set up at under half gain, so idk what his actual power is, but i would think theres plenty to work with.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, shredder2 said:

oops... my reaction above was from scrolling the damn phone... im not confused, well not anymore than usual... lol.

Lol that is 1 thing I do understand lol

33 minutes ago, MyNameIsNoob said:

I saw that video, it's actually one of the reasons I suggested the amp to my buddy. On music, it did quite a bit over rated power, so that's where it matters most to me... We got his wired at 2 ohm strapped, so both amps should be seeing 1 ohm each, correct?

I got his amps at a lil under half power n his current HDC3s are havin trouble keeping up.

This is a video of his current set up at under half gain, so idk what his actual power is, but i would think theres plenty to work with.

Gain is a means of matching head unit voltage... Half gain could be 100% power and clipping also. That's where an oscilloscope or distortion detector comes in. Preferably the former. Dynamic numbers on amplifier dyno mean nothing. Just for fun in my opinion. If the hdc3 are having trouble keeping up I'd imagine he's probably clipping the shit out of them. Anyways... Run em if you got em. I'm not bashing his equipment at all I'm just letting you know that he's not getting the power he thinks he is. I have 4 x12's in my navigator right now on a 4k @.5 and I might be seeing 2250w. 

8 minutes ago, DiBo said:

Gain is a means of matching head unit voltage... Half gain could be 100% power and clipping also. That's where an oscilloscope or distortion detector comes in. Preferably the former. Dynamic numbers on amplifier dyno mean nothing. Just for fun in my opinion. If the hdc3 are having trouble keeping up I'd imagine he's probably clipping the shit out of them. Anyways... Run em if you got em. I'm not bashing his equipment at all I'm just letting you know that he's not getting the power he thinks he is. I have 4 x12's in my navigator right now on a 4k @.5 and I might be seeing 2250w. 

Looks like I gta bit of research to do lol

...but no, its def not clipping. I put my DD1+ on it n checked everything he got n then dialed it back quite a bit to keep him from burning anything up. Regardless, I appreciate you helping me out on this, but now I'm curious what kinda power its putting out in the "real world". If I tell him it's not enough amp, he gna go bigger, I guarantee it... What's your opinion on the box specs if he went bigger n was putting a lil bit over rated power to them?

32 minutes ago, MyNameIsNoob said:

Looks like I gta bit of research to do lol

...but no, its def not clipping. I put my DD1+ on it n checked everything he got n then dialed it back quite a bit to keep him from burning anything up. Regardless, I appreciate you helping me out on this, but now I'm curious what kinda power its putting out in the "real world". If I tell him it's not enough amp, he gna go bigger, I guarantee it... What's your opinion on the box specs if he went bigger n was putting a lil bit over rated power to them? 

Your box design is good. Even for a little over rated imo. Putting 4k RMS to those subs is gonna take a big amp @ 1ohm. Probably an 8k. A good 8k amplifier at that. If it were me I'd probably go 8.25ft³ with 125in² port and saturate the subs with around 5k of clean RMS power. I'd also tune a tad higher. 31-32hz. Jmo. They'll play hard @25hz with a 31hz tuning or so. 

19 hours ago, DiBo said:

Your box design is good. Even for a little over rated imo. Putting 4k RMS to those subs is gonna take a big amp @ 1ohm. Probably an 8k. A good 8k amplifier at that. If it were me I'd probably go 8.25ft³ with 125in² port and saturate the subs with around 5k of clean RMS power. I'd also tune a tad higher. 31-32hz. Jmo. They'll play hard @25hz with a 31hz tuning or so. 

Good deal. I actually suggested to see if his buddy will put it on the amp dyno at his shop, so as expected, if possible, he wna go bigger lol

On 3/10/2019 at 10:06 AM, DiBo said:

This is wrong. 

Not very familiar with the Hifonics amps to be honest & hence why i asked if he was going to be putting 3000 wrms of actual power to each of the subs. If he was then he would definitely require closer to 85-89 in^2 of port area. The fact that you said those amps only do 1800 wrms per changed everything drastically of course. In that case, the port area he is using is optimal. Am i missing something? Or was i just wrong in doing calculations based on 3000 wrms per sub? Trying to figure out where i went wrong O_o Always willing to learn @DiBo

37 minutes ago, image91 said:

Not very familiar with the Hifonics amps to be honest & hence why i asked if he was going to be putting 3000 wrms of actual power to each of the subs. If he was then he would definitely require closer to 85-89 in^2 of port area. The fact that you said those amps only do 1800 wrms per changed everything drastically of course. In that case, the port area he is using is optimal. Am i missing something? Or was i just wrong in doing calculations based on 3000 wrms per sub? Trying to figure out where i went wrong O_o Always willing to learn @DiBo

There's not a Sundown 15 made that would require anywhere near 80in² of Port area. 68in² with 1500 or less watts. Smaller port and enclosure volume with more power. These subs smash lows with around 30mm xmax. The bigger the port the higher the tuning and port area/foot. I've ran these subs in 4ft³ with 60in of Port area. CONE CONTROL. If you're going to saturate the woofers with power the enclosure should be smaller. It's pretty common knowledge. Also... X series can't handle 3k daily on music. I have a buddy that had an NS 2 on four of them then strapped another on the same 4... Needless to say he has close to a dozen blown soft parts and voice coils hanging in his garage. 

1 hour ago, shredder2 said:

I'd plan on replacing those Hifonics with quailty...  I'd build something like this...

jW2RCO.jpg

I think wiring to .5 with a good 5K ought to do the trick.  

I would just bump up the volume to 8ft³. Other than that, looks good

Archived