Second Skin Audio

Sundown Xv2 15 - Port & Box Volume

Hey guys. So I helped my buddy w his install last year, but hes already outgrown it n ready to level up. He bought 2 new 15" Sundown Xv2's last week and we are building a box for them tomorrow.

Based on sundowns recomendations, i designed an enclosure (for 2) at 8.4 ft3 net w a kerfed port opening of 16.5" x 8.25" for 136in2 and tuned at 30hz. 

I was feeling pretty good ab the design until I started noticing alot of people are building them quite a bit smaller saying they do better in a smaller enclosure and a bigger port than what is suggested.

He has 2 3000w Brutus amps strapped together n looking to punish the lows, so I want to make sure we keep it under control by not going too big, but at the same time, w him it's all ab the deep deep.

I dont have any first hand experience w Sundown, but I know there are alot of very experienced people on here that have helped me in the past so before I start cutting I'd like to hear some opinions. Thank in advance!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it a mono chamber enclosure? Or separated? The 68 in^2 per sub sounds a bit more close to the minimum port area that would be recommended using that tuning & power. Is it that each sub is going to be getting close to 3000 wrms? If yes then going a bit more port area would be suggested, space permitted of course. The 68 in^2 recommended by Sundown would have been catering for the recommended power of 1500 wrms i'd think. Somewhere around 85-89 in^2 per sub would be "optimal". Can't wait to see how this turns out ;)

57 minutes ago, image91 said:

Is it a mono chamber enclosure? Or separated? The 68 in^2 per sub sounds a bit more close to the minimum port area that would be recommended using that tuning & power. Is it that each sub is going to be getting close to 3000 wrms? If yes then going a bit more port area would be suggested, space permitted of course. The 68 in^2 recommended by Sundown would have been catering for the recommended power of 1500 wrms i'd think. Somewhere around 85-89 in^2 per sub would be "optimal". Can't wait to see how this turns out ;)

Yes they're both in a box w a single 136 in port. There is 6000 watts total available n I know he gna wna get what he can from em. The only space available is at the expense of box volume. If I add 1/2 inch of port itll come from the air space inside the box. That's what I'm curious of - should I free up some port area, since there will be alot of power is the smaller box worth the extra control (from less airspace) and flow from port? The lows are priority on this one, so tryin not to sacrifice that if possible.

1 hour ago, image91 said:

This is wrong. 

First... Your box specs are good for lower power. 1500rms ( which he won't see anywhere close to that with hifonics). These subs handle closer to 2000 RMS each. You can have less Port area and enclosure volume is you're going to feed the subs actual rated of 1500+ watts. If by any chance he has the electrical and the amplifiers to give the subs 1500-1800 watts each or so he can go with 8ft² with 120" of Port area for better cone control. Power goes up... Box volume and Port volume goes down or he'll reach xmax a lot sooner than he wants to. X series can't take double RMS daily like some people tend to think. I run x series, zv5, and U series. I built several ported enclosures for each series and know them all pretty well. The Box you designed will work but the above information is wrong. Matter of fact the Box you designed will work well for the low-power he'll be giving them. 

53 minutes ago, DiBo said:

First... Your box specs are good for lower power. 1500rms ( which he won't see anywhere close to that with hifonics). These subs handle closer to 2000 RMS. You can have less Port area and enclosure volume is you're going to feed the subs actual rated of 1500+ watts. If by any chance he has the electrical and the amplifiers to give the subs 1500-1800 watts or so he can go with 8ft² with 120" of Port area for better cone control. Power goes up... Box volume and Port volume goes down or he'll reach xmax a lot sooner than he wants to. X series can't take double RMS daily like some people tend to think. I run x series, zv5, and U series. I built several ported enclosures for each series and know them all pretty well. The Box you designed will work but the above information is wrong. Matter of fact the Box you designed will work well for the low-power he'll be giving them. 

Thx Dibo! Theres alot of power available to get them moving, so keeping em under control is a huge concern for me. What do you think ab the box specs concerning something w enough power to float a plastic bag? 

*For reference, at the moment he has a 370 Singer alternator, 2 XS D3400 (I think), Dual 0g XS wire, 2 Brutus 3016 strapped together and 2 HDC3 15's.

30 minutes ago, MyNameIsNoob said:

Thx Dibo! Theres alot of power available to get them moving, so keeping em under control is a huge concern for me. What do you think ab the box specs concerning something w enough power to float a plastic bag? 

*For reference, at the moment he has a 370 Singer alternator, 2 XS D3400 (I think), Dual 0g XS wire, 2 Brutus 3016 strapped together and 2 HDC3 15's.

Those Brutus aren't 3000 RMS. I've had those before also when I first started. They do rt around 1800 RMS. Big D wiz put it on the dyno. Check you tube for full results. [email protected] so after impedance rise he'll probably see around 800-900 watts if he rises minimally. Your box design is perfect for that power. 

Food for thought... Unless you're wiring down don't look to get anywhere near rated power. For instance, for me to see 8000 watts out of both of my AAK-4000.1d amps I'd have to wire them strapped at .66 ( .33 ohm each). They clamp around [email protected].   At 1ohm reactive ( wired to subs) they clamp around 2000 watts depending on impedance rise. You lose a lot of power with a reactive load. 

Archived