Second Skin Audio

Can someone review my box design

snb778

Hello everyone, I am designing my own box and was hoping someone could review it.  Goal was no smaller than 4 cu ft.  Its an 18" Treo SSX rebuilt by PSI.  Treo recommended 50cu in. of port, BUT i told them I was using aero ports and they still recommended the same..? I was always under the impression they didnt need as much port?  This design is 1x 8" port = 50 cu in.   I can't figure out another configuration to hit 40 cu in, if 50 is to much.  Tuned to about 35hz.  (see attached)

Any help is appreciated

Screenshot_20190310-002425_Ultimate Car Audio App.jpg

Screenshot_20190310-002436_Ultimate Car Audio App.jpg

Box Design sketchup.JPG

Box Design.JPG

39 minutes ago, ckeeler11 said:

How much power will you be running?

Totally botched this one!  Didnt notice I only had 28cu. in of port.  My options were either 3x 4" ports = 38cu. in,............ or 1x 8" aero = 50 cu in.  I feel 38 is to little, and 50 for aero might be to much? Treo recommended 50cu. in. for a slot port.

Im going to be running an 18" Treo SSX off a Skar rp3500

3 hours ago, snb778 said:

Totally botched this one!  Didnt notice I only had 28cu. in of port.  My options were either 3x 4" ports = 38cu. in,............ or 1x 8" aero = 50 cu in.  I feel 38 is to little, and 50 for aero might be to much? Treo recommended 50cu. in. for a slot port.

Im going to be running an 18" Treo SSX off a Skar rp3500

On 3500 watts neither of those options is going to give you enough port area.  Undersizing your port is shooting yourself in the foot, its really not something you want to do.  

If I were you and I wanted to use an aero port, I would use a 10".  For a slot port I'd use no less than 80 sq in of port area.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

7 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

On 3500 watts neither of those options is going to give you enough port area.  Undersizing your port is shooting yourself in the foot, its really not something you want to do.  

If I were you and I wanted to use an aero port, I would use a 10".  For a slot port I'd use no less than 80 sq in of port area.  

Thats 20 cu in/ squ. ft.. that yuuuuge.  I have to give it a try, I don't have any other options for this kind of box...im out of space.  Worst case, it doesnt work and gotta figure something out, but it is the recommended cu. in. per Treo's recommendation.

2 hours ago, snb778 said:

Thats 20 cu in/ squ. ft.. that yuuuuge.  I have to give it a try, I don't have any other options for this kind of box...im out of space.  Worst case, it doesnt work and gotta figure something out, but it is the recommended cu. in. per Treo's recommendation.

You are correct, it is almost 20 sq in per cu ft.  But you are putting almost 1,000 watts per cubic foot into that box and it takes a lot of port area to let that amount of sound energy get out.  

I understand the problem you have with limited space, and in situations such as that you just have to do the best you can.  An aero port will suffer the consequences of too little port area a bit less severely than a slot port will, so I would use an aero port if you can.  Even a 8" aero port is going to be quite a bit undersized though.  

Just so you know what to expect, you may get significant port noise when playing at high volume and near the tuning frequency.  I wouldn't be surprised if you lose more then 3 dB of output to port compression as well.  That's equal to half your amp power being gone.  The nasty part about port compression is you don't always notice the output it takes from you, the output is just not there,  but if you fix the problem you will sure notice how much more you have compared to before.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived