Sundown Audio

dual XPR84D 4 channel amplifier gets TOASTY just idling?

realflow100

without any signal being applied. bass knob (volume knob) turned all the way down.

it gets pretty toasty after a while of being on without playing anything.

is that normal?

it draws around an amp just sitting.

is it dissipating all that power as heat? why does it draw so much power when idle?

with the remote switch turned off. it draws absolutely zero current. not even measurable in micro amps scale.

it gets pretty hot to the touch. if my room is really cold. its pretty warm but not enough to burn my fingers.

if my room is toasty. it gets searing bloody hot after a while

playing music doesn't seem to make it any hotter though. I can play my subwoofers for like 20 minutes and it doesnt even get warmer.

is it abnormal for the amp to get so warm and draw so much current when idle?

Sounds like it could possibly be a bad amp, but without doing any sort of troubleshooting it’s hard to say. 

What kind of power supply are you using to power the amp? What’s the resting voltage? What’s the amp mounted to? What’s the ohm load? Different things like that. 

TEAM PRESSURED LOWS

2000 Dodge Durango

6 Sundown SA 15s

6th Order B-Pillar Wall

Sundown Audio

XS Power Batteries

Mechman Alternators

Ive tested different voltages. its just sitting on a sheet of glass with little plastic feet I made for it

from 11.5v to 15.5v it doesnt really get any hotter or cooler with different voltages. about the same. my room ambient temperature affects it a lot more than the voltage applied to it.

im using a 15.5v 10A power supply hooked to a 600W buck converter dropping the voltage down to 14.9v and charging a bank of ultra supercapacitors (six 500 farad caps in series with high current 1/0awg wire and cable going for every power connection directly to the super capacitor bank to the amp except for RCA and remote wire and speaker wire

speaker wire is 4awg. super overkill wire but i had it lying around so thought I might as well use it.

the amp is 4 channels bridged down to 2 channels for stereo subwoofer operation. powering two 4-ohm 12-inch subwoofers with low pass filter turned all the way to 40hz otherwise i hear vocals coming through the subs if i put it any higher. its rated for 2x 4ohms bridged operation

the caps are able to keep handle the power just fine. the voltage stays fine right around 14.8 to 14.9v even under maximum load

the subs dont get hot. the amp doesnt get any hotter than when its just sitting vs putting power to the subwoofers

The subs are two 12-inch single 4-ohm subs.

One on each bridged channel

• 10 months later...
On 3/13/2019 at 8:20 PM, realflow100 said:

Ive tested different voltages. its just sitting on a sheet of glass with little plastic feet I made for it

from 11.5v to 15.5v it doesnt really get any hotter or cooler with different voltages. about the same. my room ambient temperature affects it a lot more than the voltage applied to it.

im using a 15.5v 10A power supply hooked to a 600W buck converter dropping the voltage down to 14.9v and charging a bank of ultra supercapacitors (six 500 farad caps in series with high current 1/0awg wire and cable going for every power connection directly to the super capacitor bank to the amp except for RCA and remote wire and speaker wire

speaker wire is 4awg. super overkill wire but i had it lying around so thought I might as well use it.

the amp is 4 channels bridged down to 2 channels for stereo subwoofer operation. powering two 4-ohm 12-inch subwoofers with low pass filter turned all the way to 40hz otherwise i hear vocals coming through the subs if i put it any higher. its rated for 2x 4ohms bridged operation

the caps are able to keep handle the power just fine. the voltage stays fine right around 14.8 to 14.9v even under maximum load

the subs dont get hot. the amp doesnt get any hotter than when its just sitting vs putting power to the subwoofers

The subs are two 12-inch single 4-ohm subs.

One on each bridged channel

realflow100, How do you have the speakers wired and what is the ohm load you are sending to the amp? Take a multi-meter and test the speaker wire coming from the subs to the amp. Also what is the RMS wattage for the subs and I dont think this Dual XPR84D holds up to his true wattage of RMS load.

Ambient temps ... I've dealt with this issue with amp like digital ballasts.

I had a few 600 watters that would be warm when room was 65-70, and would get hot as shit around 77-80.

You gotta understand, any current that's not used as product will be turned to heat.  Also the amp itself is it's enemy as it causes amvieht temps to get higher due to the heat it's making

I've had a room with a 250 watt ballast that within hours the ballast itself would get the room 10 degrees hotter. And yes, the actual cab was exhausted outside the room into attic.

I know this is high intensity grow lighting compared to a audio amplifier. But it boils down to the same thing; a small little aluminum box that converts electric to usuable current for a specific purpose.

Here's the devices I'm speaking of.

630 watt cmh ballasts. And other sizes too. But they are literally built like amps. Components that get majority of heat attached to an aluminum sink. Also these have fans in them too.

Get your ambient temps under control and you'll be ok.

Archived