Anyone know of Nexgen lithium batteries?

Hello, Wondering if anyone has heard of nexgen batteries?  Prices seem pretty good, company has been around for quite a while.  I spoke with the owner, he sells military grade lithium batteries, said he has his batteries powering 1/2 the cell towers in the Appalachian mountains, seems like a solid company.  Said his batteries "can be hit with a shotgun" and they're still safe, they can take a large amount of abuse which leads me to believe his cells are top quality.  Anyone heard of them before? Know of anyone using them?  This is what I was considering. https://nexgenbattery.com/shop/batteries/12v-40ah/

What do you look at for good performance in a lithium battery? Like AGM you typically focus on AH, what other factors in lithium do you look at to consider power handling? Why choose 1 battery over the other, 1 company vs another?  I'm pretty familiar with lithium at this point, just not what determines power handling.  Seems like 3 companies can build a 40ah battery, but just not sure what else determines power handling with these.

Thanks

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe the C rating has a big effect on whether it can be used for our hobby. And there are ways to get high performance lithium for fairly cheap theses day. People are buying battery packs out of crashed/used electric vehicles and arranging them with bus bars for use at 12v. I will be running Cmax cells for my build. I got a new phone but let me dig and see if I can find a pic.

Sitting around waiting to be installed:

4 FI X 10

270 CES alt

D3400/73ah lithium

AA 3800.1

(2) AA 75.4

3 hours ago, Wishuponasub said:

I believe the C rating has a big effect on whether it can be used for our hobby. And there are ways to get high performance lithium for fairly cheap theses day. People are buying battery packs out of crashed/used electric vehicles and arranging them with bus bars for use at 12v. I will be running Cmax cells for my build. I got a new phone but let me dig and see if I can find a pic.

Where are you seeing this has a C- rating?

20 minutes ago, Wishuponasub said:

Yeah they are 45 ah each. I have 3. They look huge but they aren't really all that big.

Do you have any pics of the BMS you used?  When you say C-max, what does that mean? All I know is like energy cell, power cell, chemical makeup, and 38120, 18650, etc.  Trying to figure out when I look at all these different companies batteries (not just cells) what im looking at for best performance.  I don't understand how some people use 16x 18650 batteries and create 12v, 40ah pack...do they perform as well as using 38120's?  Are they as safe? Does 1 companies 38120 perform better than another? etc.  Still figuring it all out.  Seems the Linyong or whatever are the go-to for safety.  Thats another topic in itself, what makes 1 safer than another, how do I know, what do I look for.  

Any help would be great.  Thanks!

I think they are just called CMax because they came out of a Ford Cmax. Supposedly these brand new Toyota cells are the best available.

I'm not to sure on all the chemistry questions you have. I don't dig that deep to learn it and I have no reason to do so. If ford thought it was safe enough then I'm good with it.

As far as BMS any bms would do. I choose not to run them because they are not required and imo not needed. I mean every cell in the pack is connected. Positive on one end negative on the other. So how is one gonna be missed?

C rating is the rate of discharge/charge I believe. Cells we use must have a higher C rating due to the large amounts of amperage we provide for charge/ and the discharge demands that we ask of them. It is one of the most important factors in determining which batteries we can use or not.

As far as connecting them it has to do with series/parallel. For example you will see it as 4s9p or whatever. The series would be combining the voltage and the parallel is for the ah. <I believe, I may be mistaken but i don't believe so.

Sitting around waiting to be installed:

4 FI X 10

270 CES alt

D3400/73ah lithium

AA 3800.1

(2) AA 75.4

Archived