DC Sound Lab

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2019 at 1:07 PM, CstrokerV said:

And the amp could of been still clipping at that voltage you set at that 1200 watts... and one sub going is not unheard of due to clipping with the other subs being fine.  if that amp is only capable doing say  800 rms of clean power and you set it to 1200 rms then you clip the amp to hell and back ... box could of been an issue also... burnt coil is rarely due to manufacture defect and to user error 

Its a 2000w RMS A/B amp. 2000w rms. Even if it's not a clean 2000-watt it's not going to be anything less than around 1,800 which is still way more than I actually need. I ONLY need 1200. There is no way that that 2000 watt a b amp is only pushing a clean 800 watts. Thats a fat lie. Ik the amp isnt that crazy good. But 2k watts at 2 ohms for its price is very believeable. Not to mention the fact that it's been on numerous other set ups and has been absolutely perfectly fine. Why would only one sub blow if it were clipping. Every sub would take an equal voltage and would also be playing the same frequency, that means every sub would clip at the same time. Now let's say fit the other subs weren't wired up and it was only that one then I would be able to tell. But being as though they were all moving and exactly the same distance and I could easily here all four of them, I know that they were all wired up in the same phase, there wasn't any clipping except for on one of the songs, and the amp is fine.

On 4/14/2019 at 1:16 PM, ToNasty said:

Possibly

Most likely. But what could I have done wrong? The only thing I can think of is wiring but I know it was fine, if it was wiring another sub at least would have been affected by it. It wouldn't have been just that one. The box is fine it's the exact same design that Steve meade made. So unless his design is bad (Which its perfect) then I don't know what could be wrong with the Box. The box is fine, the wiring is fine (10guage), and the amp plays nicely. In fact I'm still using it. It can't be that bad if it's been abused like it has for the past 10 or so years we have had it. It's still kicking as strong as it was when we first got it. We got it used. So it can't be as crappy as you think it is. And I guarantee you there is no way that that 2000 watt RMS amp is only pushing out 1,000 or less watts. Of course the radio or my phone could have been clipping which I also doubt. Being as though I never actually turn the volume up at all... the volume state extremely low. These Subs should be able to take this wattage perfectly fine. I know this because I've played two of them on this app before and it sounded wonderful and so I decided to get two more and make a bigger SPL enclosure. I've also put this amp on a Pioneer 12 (super shitty sub), and it was easily able to withstand turning the bass knob all the way up and turning the music up Extremely Loud. The box at the Pioneer was in was tuned to 30hz, it hit hard and sounded great. If that shity little 300 watt RMS sub is able to take the wattage that's being put out from the amplifier, then it should be fine. Once again I didn't have the volume up very loud when I was using all four. It was late at night and I was not trying to wake up the neighbors. I just wanted to get a test bump in to see what the frequency range was like. So far its anywhere between 30 and 42. All those frequencies hit hella hard. Im used to a peaky 38hz tuned box with two 12" Diamond Audio D6 Subs. They are rated at 600 watts each and were taking 2000 watts in that box. They've outlasted the jlw7 that we had. Lol

fwiw, on music it's rare to blow two or more at one time,unless you run 5x rated or something so blowing one out of 4 does not mean the signal was clean.

If it truly happened on low power its pretty much the amp sending a bad signal or the sub was defective to begin with, assuming you've got electrical and the proper enclosure.