Sundown Audio

Cap or not

xxdrwhamxxx

Looking for opinions on whether or not to use a capacitor with my setup. Equipment as follows: pair of JL 12W3 D4's and a pair of RF 500X1D's one per sub. The load on each amp will be either 150W @8ohm or 500W @2ohm, I'm leaning towards the 150W since 500W is twice the continuous power rating on the subs. I currently have the subs wired to one amp and I have a cap. I also have a deep cell batt and a 105amp alternator. When I split by adding another amp, should I continue to use cap? It has served me well up to this point, providing quick burst of energy for the lows, quicker than the batt could. ( I tested the sound before cap and after) I'm aware there are many opinions on the subject but since I'm splitting the system 2 amps wont work as hard as 1, (maybe?) 

Thoughts?

Ya if it's not something like 500+ Farads then toss that cap in the trash, only thing its good for is a filter. 

Like above said, best bet is a good AGM. 

Sundown NSV4 18"  +  Sundown SALT-4 Baby

MechMan Elite 370a  +  XS3100 - XP3000

SHCA 1/0 OFC(blue+  SMD Fuse Holders(blue)

Pioneer AVH-2440NEX  SHCA Pro RCA 

Thanks for the follow up guys.

Agreed, gonna get rid of the cap.

1 more question, I have the option for wiring 500w x1 @ 2ohms or 150w x 8ohms (Subs are DVC 4ohm) I'm thinking 150w should be plenty. My current setup has 75w per sub and they sound pretty good. Due to the age of the subs I'm concerned with overpowering even if dialing the gains back. Well, maybe that's the answer. Twice the RMS power but still well below sub RMS rating, no brainer I guess. And less likely to damage the subs.

3 hours ago, xxdrwhamxxx said:

Thanks for the follow up guys.

Agreed, gonna get rid of the cap.

1 more question, I have the option for wiring 500w x1 @ 2ohms or 150w x 8ohms (Subs are DVC 4ohm) I'm thinking 150w should be plenty. My current setup has 75w per sub and they sound pretty good. Due to the age of the subs I'm concerned with overpowering even if dialing the gains back. Well, maybe that's the answer. Twice the RMS power but still well below sub RMS rating, no brainer I guess. And less likely to damage the subs.

sounds like you answered yourself ;)

23 minutes ago, BassMunky said:

Suggestion on Maxwell cap from ebay ? And how many?

As many as you can fit 

2000 Suburban 6 runs of 2/0

12 timpano audio mids,6 timpana audio tweets and 1 timpano compression horn per door 

8 banks of blue Maxwells + 260ah of Yin Long LTOs 

2 370 Amp Autotech Alts 

mids amps 2  Crescendo Skyway 3ks 

Tweet amp Crossfire 2000.4

sub amp: 4 Crossfire XT 8ks

Subs: 8 18 in Crossfires in a 4th order

Best Scores at events…

161.6@38hz DBdrag  sealed on the dash… 162.54 outlaw…161.14 Meca headrest 

2 hours ago, BassMunky said:

Suggestion on Maxwell cap from ebay ? And how many?

Do you understand the nature of super capacitors? They aren't a battery replacement for daily applications. Ideally you want your alternator(s) to supply the majority of the power and the batteries to be there for reserve if you are idling or you want to play while the car is off.

But if you are looking for information you should make a new thread and keep this one on topic.

OP can you try to sell your amps and find one that will match the wattage of the subs at 1 ohm wired together? Would be much easier and more efficient than under powering those subs.

Seems like nowdays people only really use caps for burps in SPL comps. Difference between cap and battery is that a cap discharges and charges much faster, so good for those hard and fast BUUURRPPP uses. But on a daily driver, I think you're way better off just supplementing with batt power.

Archived