Second Skin Audio

Challenging box design

One of the things many people face with limited box space is fitting a decent port in. I'm having trouble even designing a port for over 12sq inches per cube wich is way too small. 

I have a 2015 scion tc, the tire well is so shallow i had to weld in a frame so i could fit a batter under the sub box. I have the frame and then a "false floor" then the box. the usable dimensions for my space after the false floor is 

38'' wide  24.25'' deep 18'' high at the back and then 11.25'' at the front. 18 inches at the back is pushing it though i would rather it be 16. but 18 is totally fine if i helps. I already made a box with these dimensions. except it is 16 inches high. although with the 16 inch high back i had to put another panel ontop of the box because the sub was taller than the enclosure.

my trouble though is that i'm having a really hard time fitting both the sub(sundown zv5-15) with the ports. i'm going to have to make a new box but i was wondering if anyone was willing to assist me with designing the new one. 

p.s the welding done on this was my first welding project, it's not pretty but it's strong.

IMG_9957 2.jpg

dJEpJG1 - Imgur 2 2.jpg

Damn you have that sucker snug as a bug!

Can't help you design a box but @Triticum Agricolam  along with some others are excellent builders/designers. Goodluck bro

I looked up pics of the interior of your year Scion TC and it looks similar to what I've been dealing with - 2011 Ford Fiesta sedan (it's a sub-compact lol). In the trunk of that thing I fit a 28x24x15 box with 8x17 aeroport (halfway in box, halfway out) and 2 12's. The box is around 5 cubes net, and I can put the back seat up fully, although it's more output with the seat down. I have the port facing into the cabin. Also a XP2000 (medium size AGM) on either side of the box, and the amp is in the wheel well under the box. It's tough to get everything in, but is possible :)

21 hours ago, Joshdashef said:

Damn you have that sucker snug as a bug!

Can't help you design a box but @Triticum Agricolam  along with some others are excellent builders/designers. Goodluck bro

haha yes it was a tight fit. I had to fold the rear seats down, pick the box up over the trunk as far into the vehicle as i could and then drop it down and slide it back.

5 hours ago, k58.cross said:

I looked up pics of the interior of your year Scion TC and it looks similar to what I've been dealing with - 2011 Ford Fiesta sedan (it's a sub-compact lol). In the trunk of that thing I fit a 28x24x15 box with 8x17 aeroport (halfway in box, halfway out) and 2 12's. The box is around 5 cubes net, and I can put the back seat up fully, although it's more output with the seat down. I have the port facing into the cabin. Also a XP2000 (medium size AGM) on either side of the box, and the amp is in the wheel well under the box. It's tough to get everything in, but is possible :)

nice setup you got there, got a youtube i could check out? always enjoy watching peoples progress vids. 

i need to somehow fit the ports onto of the box for two main reasons, first the only good space for the port/s is onto of the box... the mids and highs amps along with some fusing needs to be on the back of the box. The sub amp (ampere audio 3800.1 with sub wired at .35ohms )will be on the front of the box(viewable with the trunk lid open). battery of course under the box. 

The second reason being is that since it's a hatchback/liftback style trunk, the best configuration in my opinion is for the port and sub to be positioned ontop of the box firing toward the trunk lid. 

now A 8 inch port wouldn't be too bad to fit into the box except that it would need a 90 degree bend. i could have 3 inches out of the box, about 5 ish inches down then the bend and then about 20 inches till it hits the sub magnet. thats with the same box as pictured with the sub all the way to the left of the box. now if i could get sub and port somehow configured to where the port can extend beside the sub then i'd gain another 6 inches of port. i'd like to tune it under 33hz. 28-30hz would be great but 31-33 is totally fine. i know due to my space i'll have to compromise somewhere in the box. that's what i'm having trouble with, is designing it to be the most efficient with the compromises

The only thing is that on the amount of power i'll be on, a 8 inch port is too small. after bracing, and sub i have 5.02cubic feet net to work with. not a whole lot of space to still cram a port in there aswell.

i was totally spoiled having my old car, a 2006 toyota sequoia with no rear seats. i had a 8 cubic foot box gross,6 cubic foot net tuned to 31hz doing 148.3db at 33hz wich would be nice to have in the scion tc but sadly i don't think ill reach or surpass those numbers until i wall the car off or loose the back seats, i want that to happen but not for several years 🙂 

Ah so you want to have your port coming out of the top of the box? That's possible with aero ports, and maybe you don't need to bend, check this example pic:

21370882_1213466735426712_34678070847880

My system is in dissaray right now because I'm renovating it a bit and making things look better. I got my box done though and this is how I have it set up:

box.PNG.1bb97b7398a6fbf467f5fd61e025251c.PNG

It's a compromise though. I know I need more port area for the power I'm trying to run. It's a small car though so just doing what I can for now.

i totally understand your system being under construction, good luck. props to you for dealing with limited space though.

unfortunately i only have 3 inches from the top of the box to the trunk lid. and then i have about 16-10 inches of box depth best case i could fit a 10inch port without a bend haha. i did try a single 8 inch port tunned to 30hz tonight, same style as yours and it was better than i excpected but i had port noise, i know there is potential being wasted. 

also it took 28inches so, 8 inches were sticking out of the box wich wouldn't let the seats fold up. 

want to trade cars haha. maybe a slot port is the only way to go with this system. it just takes up so much air space for the amount of actual port area you're getting. and less efficent than aero ports

I was able to get a port configuration figured out. 2 6x6 inch ports tuned to 33hz, not the best port area but plotting it in winsid it should be louder than my test box was, with a broader bandwidth too. The test box did have some port noise but not too bad for me to forfit it. the new box design with new ports will have 14.4 square inches of port area per cube vs the 11.4 the previous test box and port has. It's not ideal but for limited space i found it to be the best for what i wanted. 

Archived