Sundown Audio

amp clip light indicator

bigtinybob

the music itself can have clipping regardless of your amp gain. so there could be clipping at 1/10th volume just because the song has clipping in it.

I'd re-set the amp gain with pure sinewave test tones. and check for clipping with sine waves and by ear to make sure theres no clipping at any frequency. so check the frequencies that give the most power to your subwoofers as well.

you dont want any clipping at any frequency with a sinewave.

make sure your volume on your head unit and stuff is set to the highest. before setting your gain on the amp. start out with the gain on the lowest and slow turn it up until you hear distortion. or the clipping light comes on. and back it down a little.

you can also use a clamp AC meter with a multimeter to measure the RMS AC voltage to calculate the watts going to your subwoofers to make sure you arent overpowering your subwoofers past their RMS wattage rating

once the gain has been set. its ok if the clipping light comes on occasionally (peaks of songs) but shouldn't be continously lighting up. play songs that dont have a whole lot of clipping in them. listen to them at low volume just to make sure they sound clean and dont sound distorted. if they sound clean at low volume. dont worry about it

some songs can trigger the clipping indicator from hard hitting bass peaks.

alright mostly the music i played that the light came on was only rap with heavy bass but i did turn the gain back down maybe a 1/8 of  turn and its sounds much better but the light just came on and back off with a heavy bass drop.but as you said clipping occurs even at the low settings.

if you turn your volume down to like half. do some songs still make the clipping light activate when the bass would "hit"? or what certain points your talking about with heavy bass drop?

that shouldn't neccessarily be an issue as long as the gain is set right with sinewave tones of -0dB

• 3 months later...

Usually when a soft clip happens some times the gain needs to be just slightly turned down a small amount, I had it happen and adjusted the gain a lil and the amp never went into protect again.

Archived