Second Skin Audio

Will a 2400 watt rms subwoofer shake my car?

Audio877

1 hour ago, Audio877 said:

Is 5k really necessary for only 2400 watts worth of subs? I mean it gets damn expensive to go that high and I would never be using all of it. 

I'm confused... you said you wanted to shake your car and be heard from blocks away. You also said you wanted around 2400 watts to your subs...

After impedance rise to obtain that kind of power you're going to need to either wire lower than 1 ohm or get a big amplifier that'll give you over 2.4k. You're not gonna get 2.4k out of a 2250 watt amp. Hell, you ain't getting 2250 out of most 3-4k amps @ 1ohm. 

What clamp meter are you using anyhow? That SMD tool I saw on YouTube looked nice. It shows the wattage output on music without needing to do any math.

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

24 minutes ago, moh.vze.com said:

What clamp meter are you using anyhow? That SMD tool I saw on YouTube looked nice. It shows the wattage output on music without needing to do any math.

Term lab. Last time I metered. My Apocalypse 4k was giving me just 2500 watts wired @.5. I don't see what the big deal is. A 4-5k @ 1 ohm isn't really a big amp. 

OP, use what you got and focus on making a good enclosure. Instead of trying to throw a ton of power at it right away, figure out how to get the most of your system first, and then move up in power, otherwise it's wasted potential. Stop flex wherever you can in the vehicle, it's lost SPL. That's why the loudest SPL vehicles are built like tanks.

Put in a dedicated volt meter and watch how much your battery voltage drops during normal use. If you regularly dip under 12, you need an extra battery.

low 30s tuned box @ 1200 rms can flex well with 1 15inch subwoofer. what amp will do on paper is not what u will get on subs. if u replace sub with resistor that can handle 3k and u clamp that resistor u will see your amp rated rms power. on subwoofer its different story. google reactive power and and real power.

Thanks, that’s really helpful. I am too eager right now to have a lot of power when i still have stock electrical :P  I might get an 18 inch sub that is 1250 watts rms which will save some money for either sound deadening or mids and highs. 

3 minutes ago, Audio877 said:

Thanks, that’s really helpful. I am too eager right now to have a lot of power when i still have stock electrical :P  I might get an 18 inch sub that is 1250 watts rms which will save some money for either sound deadening or mids and highs. 

That's the best part of car audio... Loud can be had 1000 different ways. I start with electrical ( alternator and nice ofc wiring). 

Archived