single Skar DDX 12 on 2k

So I've been researching for my new budget build as much as free time permits, but figured it may help posting..

single DDX 12 going in the back of my WJ(04) grand cherokee, D2 so it will be alone at 1ohm on my new Audiopipe apmi2000.

Skar suggests 2.5 cubes ported @ 38hz?  I also thought it was odd that their site shows the sub has an fs of 39 and a range is 35-500hz?

I do plan on playing music of all kinds, including lots of rap and decaf/c&s so i Really want things to shine 25-30hz. and absolutely prefer LOUDness over tightness.

As a final note, my last setup(over 15 years ago lol) was a DD9515 powered by a usamps 1000. with such low power, i went with 6 cubes net and 60sq" of vent tuned to 35hz.

While the old setup impressed Many, i have goals for this new build. i wanted a Little space for stuff, so i went 12. I'm posting because I've never given a sub more amp than it needed.. anyone have time to school me on box size vs power? if it was only going to see 800rms i likely would have just gone like 3.25 or more @ 28 with their recommended 32 sq", however.. my research shows my new amp should do around advertised power.

In order to keep from unloading, should I stick to 2.5cu with 32sq" @ 28hz? 30hz? more port? sorry for the novel, its been a while haha

I speak from personal experience having had a single DDX 12 wired to 1 ohm on an Audiopipe apmi 2k. I built my box slot ported at 2.5ft NET tuned to 36 hz with 37 sq in of port. I don’t have this stupid anymore but If I had to do it over again, I’d go with more port area and tuned lower, at 32hz. It fell off pretty sharply at around 33hz and below. It was killer at around 38to 44 hz though. Granted the transfer function and acoustics of my 05 supercrew f150 probably had a lot to do with the way it played and all. All things considered , the DDX on that apmi 2k was a nice match together. Just wish I had played with it in some more different enclosures to see how differently it would have played. I now have 2 new EVL 12s and a taramps hd3000 setting in my closet ready for the box to be built whenever I get around to doing it. Good luck with your build 

thank you anr! i kept coming across your previous posts about your ddx12 build. i didn't realize you had it on an apmi2000! very glad to hear they get along.

so maybe I'll give..... say 2.75cu and 28hz a try.

just curious how things were when you pushed things, she get stinky on ya?

i will say, that after plugging parameters of this sub into my og copy of winisd.... first thing i noticed was that it was screaming for a ported box. the number seemed equal or higher than my 9515.

does that mean it has a stiff suspension? i should get my ddx12 tomorrow so i havent touched the sub yet, but i remember my DD 15 suspension was Quite stiff

Yea it was stiff but remember it doesn’t have a top notch or multi layered suspension. It is decent for the money though. I personally would not tune that low. I’d keep it around 32hz. Unless you plan to have an adjustable port. And yes it did get stinky but they tend to smell immediately from break in from the coil glue regardless of power. It took a while to break in but it  consistently  got louder. 

Archived