Second Skin Audio

Advanced tuning question

dudeogo

In a case where the cross sectional area of the port is equal to the side of the enclosure how would you tune said enclosure where the Vb value of the box would effectively become 0? such as 4th/6th orders where the entire secondary chamber is open, or bass tubes.  I would very much appreciate just getting the equation needed. I like doing all of my enclosure math by hand. Would I treat it somewhat like a transmission line in it of that the length of the port is the quarter wave distance of a given frequency amplifying said frequency? 

Stage 3 2008 Mazdaspeed 3

MIDS/HIGHS                                                                               BASS

8 Unlawful Sounds Mark VIIIs                                                  2 15s (in talks with a few companies) 

8 Unlawful Sounds Super Tweeters                                       Soundigital EVO 5000

Amps: Something Brazilian

bump

Stage 3 2008 Mazdaspeed 3

MIDS/HIGHS                                                                               BASS

8 Unlawful Sounds Mark VIIIs                                                  2 15s (in talks with a few companies) 

8 Unlawful Sounds Super Tweeters                                       Soundigital EVO 5000

Amps: Something Brazilian

If the port area is at, or near, the cross sectional area of the enclosure you aren't likely to end up with a ported enclosure.  What you are probably going to get is more of a transmission line.  The hard part is determining when the enclosure will be more like a t-line and when it won't.  There aren't going to be any hard rules for when that happens.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived