Second Skin Audio

Single SA-10, Ported enclosure.

DawsJGC

Hey all! Looking for some general answers and opinions for my single SA-10d2. I'm going to build a ported box for it for my '17 Grand Cherokee. I have a Nine.2x to power it with which clamped at just under 900w before clipping in my truck (Digilent discovery 2 and a clamp DMM). 

Here's my questions: when I use online calculators I come up with needing around .6-.7 cubes. Sundowns website suggests 1-1.25, and many on the forums say up to 1.5. Why the discrepancies? The 1-1.5 I understand, but the calculation spitting out .6-.7 sounds wrong. 

I'm leaning toward a 24x13.5x13.5 with a 12x1.5" slot around 22" long. Should get me about 35Hz. 

Does anyone have any input on this?  Sound like a good plan? Anything you'd do differently? 

Thanks!

Just to start the ball rolling, what calculator are you using bro? Usually calculators request the user to input a net volume, not give one O_o i'd personally stick to the 1.0-1.25 ft^3 that the manufacturer recommends (Whichever your available space permits). 900w from a Nine.2x sounds like a alot, what voltage was this at? Know it's rated to put out 600 wrms x 1 @ 12.5v @ 4 Ohm bridged so curious.

Using 600 wrms in calculations, 23 in^2 port area would be "optimal" so you'd want to use closer to 12" x 1.875" for your port. If you are using 900 wrms or are going to upgrade your bass amp at any time in the near future then you'll need to increase the port area even more. Both changes up from 1.5" port width will increase the port length either way.

I put the TS params into the calculator at 

https://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/Calculator/SpeakerBoxEnclosure/

That's where I saw the .63 or something. I kinda just thought it was a fluke. 

As for the Nine.2x - this was in my truck about 2 years ago. Truck running so I'd say 14.4 or around that. Was using a 50Hz tone and the oscope on the output to watch for clipping.  It was under 900 but not by much. 

I am pretty open on space - just looking for the best daily enclosure configuration. I don't care to drop to 1.25 or even 1 if that will serve me better. To make it easy maybe a 12x2 port? If I nailed down to 1.25 what would port length be for 35Hz (or should I go lower/higher?)? How about frequency response? 

In the past I've had eD eu700's at 32Hz, 13Ov.2@ 28Hz, and RF 12Hx2@ 38Hz.. been over many years so not sure which I like best. 

Thanks for the reply.

Ran some eD myself. My one remaining amp from them is a Nine.2x also. Recently sold my Nine.4 & Nine.1 =( Ran two 19oV.2, three 13kV.2 & last was three 13oV.2, not to mention their comps etc. Loved my eD stuff.

At 14.4v is one thing, but while playing is another ;) Using 700 wrms for calculations, i'm coming up with 24 in^2 port area as "optimal" so 12" x 2" would be spot on. With regards to tuning, for all-around i'd usually say 30Hz - 32Hz so you get a bit of everything. If you have no big preference towards the lower notes (Sub 30Hz) then even 34Hz is fine. With the slightly larger port area, the port length is fairly longer. Coming up with 36.5" for a 34Hz tuning. If you want to find a middle ground you can drop the port area slightly to 12" x 1.75" still maintaining 21 in^2 of port area. The port length will increase to 41.375" for a 30Hz tuning. Depending on what tuning frequency you decide on, i can give you an idea of the port area/length. These are all utilizing your 24" x 13.5" x 13.5" dimensions. i'm using Triticum's Improved Port Area calculator as well as RE Audio Box Calculator.

Thanks again. I realize music will largely never get my amp to full tilt. 

So I'm pretty set on the 13.5x13.5. I'm flexible on the width - say 1.25ft @ 34Hz. Even with 12x1.75 that puts me at 34.5" length... How do I stuff that much port in? Fold it back on itself? Is it best to have the port opening against an adjacent wall or is it ok to terminate it in the middle somewhere from folding?

Thanks for the conversation - been a while since I've talked enclosures with anyone. What would you do? 

Don't mention it bro ;)

Using 12 x 1.75  & a port length of 34.5" you'll get a tuning of around 32 Hz & sub will be playing in around 1.35 ft^3 net. If you use 12 x 2 you'd get around 34 Hz & sub will more be playing in 1.25 ft^3 net. Feel free to request any adjustment in the tuning frequency using the different port areas etc. & i'll run it through the calculator.

With regards to fitting the port, i'd say it's safe to run it go from front to back, then across the back of the enclosure, then from back to front & terminate where it will. If anyone else has a better idea, feel free to chime in O_o

Again, don't mention it. Know the feeling, lol. Just recently got a bunch of help & good conversation from the guys on here.

35 minutes ago, DawsJGC said:

One other question - does port length measurement ride along the centerline around the port bends? Think I'm gonna do the 12x2 port @ 34hz and 1.25ft^3 on a 24x13.5x13.5 footprint. 

Yes it does, you measure right down the middle of the port.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived