Sundown Audio

Amp in the $600 range

Kyle13130

Yes I've searched around, a lot of threads are very dated. I'm looking for something to put out 4kw-5kw at 1ohm. I've noticed good watt/dollar ratios on a lot of smaller ~2kw amps but nothing as good in the 4kw-5kw range. Some amps that have caught my interest:

Wolfram W4500 $630

And not much else, if you know of anything please throw out some names here thanks

20 hours ago, DiBo said:

Deaf Bonce Apocalypse AAK-4000.1d on pre order rt now for around $650. I've owned the W-4500.1 and this Apocalypse. The deaf bonce hands down. Wolfram slightly more powerful but deaf bonce is 2x as reliable. 

Curious what issues you had w/Wolfram?  I would expect them to be similar as they're both made by S&I

6 minutes ago, mestapho said:

Curious what issues you had w/Wolfram?

Thermal quickly even with good electical wired @ 1ohm. A lot of power to not have a clipping indicator imo. A clip light isn't the end all be all but it helps tremendously. Also the board itself was half ass compared to the Apocalypse board. Weak soldering points and way less visual adhesive on the components. When I took the bottom off and compared it to the deaf bonce board there was no comparison. The S&I board for the win! Make great power tho. Just ran hot as chicken grease. Same setup with the deaf Bonce swap and no protect ever. Runs 50% cooler also. I've ran Orion also and the same exact ish as the Wolfram... Power out the wazoo but hotter than a hooker in mid summer here in Vegas. The Wolfram and Orion required external fans constantly... I've never hooked a fans up to the Apocalypse. Honestly I think the Orion and Wolfram use thin cheap heat sinks to where the deaf bonce is hella heavy compared to the others. Jmo

38 minutes ago, DiBo said:

Thermal quickly even with good electical wired @ 1ohm. A lot of power to not have a clipping indicator imo. A clip light isn't the end all be all but it helps tremendously. Also the board itself was half ass compared to the Apocalypse board. Weak soldering points and way less visual adhesive on the components. When I took the bottom off and compared it to the deaf bonce board there was no comparison. The S&I board for the win! Make great power tho. Just ran hot as chicken grease. Same setup with the deaf Bonce swap and no protect ever. Runs 50% cooler also. I've ran Orion also and the same exact ish as the Wolfram... Power out the wazoo but hotter than a hooker in mid summer here in Vegas. The Wolfram and Orion required external fans constantly... I've never hooked a fans up to the Apocalypse. Honestly I think the Orion and Wolfram use thin cheap heat sinks to where the deaf bonce is hella heavy compared to the others. Jmo

Weird. They're both S&I boards.  Wouldn't think there would be much difference in build quality.

Archived