Second Skin Audio

Do I have to much port area

Rookie here, I built my first box some what using sub box pro and online reading, my sub just dont hit like I think they should, on jeezy i put on the lows will flex my whole roof and sun roof it moves a lot of air it will vibrate your coat if your standing out the the door when it's open, but I guess to me the bass seems loose and sloppy my box is 38 wide x 18 tall x 20 depth my port is 4.5 wide by 16.5 tall , 16 long the L is 7" to both sides behind the subs at about 2.5" away from the back wall of the box, I'm running 2 audiopipe bd4 15s 2ohm rms 1400 max 2800 w, on a wolfram c2400.1 wired at a half ohm stock 180amp alt and stock battery, did I build my box wrong, trying to upload a photo but the image size is to big, thanks for any help or advise

Port area is alittle low for that power. the box is about 5.8 cu. ft total after displacements. that is a bit small for 2 15's and i dont see any bracing, so that will definitely affect output. If you have T/S parameters of the subs that would help but I suspect that they are part of the issue as well. 

I had a 15 in a 4' ft3 box w 68" in2 port area tuned at 30 hz n it hit low n tight in my hatchback sub and port firing to the rear... It sounded like a totally different speaker than the 3.5' ft3 w 56" in2 port area tuned at 33 hz.

As long as I kept the $150 secret nobody knew lol

Subsonic at 40 is killing your low end. Subsonic is a high pass filter, so it filters everything below it's set point out. I say turn it off so it doesnt affect output, but playing too low beyond tuning freq can cause over excursion at high volume if you dont know when too much is too much. Otherwise, set it one half octave below tuning freq.

I dont think it will be the only cause of loss of low end output though. Ckeeler makes good enclosure recommendations, I'd listen to what he says too.

11 minutes ago, Cbphillips812 said:

And my amp is set at. Gain is in between 1/2 and 3/4 subsonic is at about 40, bass boost is a 1/4, lpf is at probably 70 or 80, 2014 chrysler 300 s with factory beats audio, I am using a cheap Walmart l.o.c, could my cheap converter be the issue 

Turn down that subsonic. Your box is tuned to about 32 Hz so you ar e not even using all you have. I would set the SSF to 28 but you need to set the gain correctly first. 

I would also raise the LPF up to 100 it might help with the boominess. 

The driver is going to be sloppy. With an Mms of 505 which is high and Qms of 2.2 which is low it will be hard to control.

Archived