Second Skin Audio

Decreasing port area

akuma4u

I know if you have a box built and want to decrease the port area, you just have to fill up the port hole. But what is the proper way to do this?

lets say my port width is 2 inches wide,. i know you put in a 2 inch wide piece of wood and as high as you want,. the higher the more port area will be reduced,. but what about the length? does the piece of wood have to be .75 inch long 1 inch or as long as the front to the back of the entire port inside the box? which in my case would be 16 or so inches? so width and height i understand.. but length i need clarification on.

thanks

The piece you add would need to run the full length of the port. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

4 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

The piece you add would need to run the full length of the port. 

so if i have a standard L style port, the piece of wood i add would need to cover the entire L port in length and obviously width and height dependant on how much port i wanna reduce?

if thats the case,. no can do as i cant access the entire L port length.

8 hours ago, akuma4u said:

so if i have a standard L style port, the piece of wood i add would need to cover the entire L port in length and obviously width and height dependant on how much port i wanna reduce?

if thats the case,. no can do as i cant access the entire L port length.

Yup. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

this if funny because i swear before when i was looking into enclosures and stuff,. others told me i can easily manipulate port area but simply adding some wood to the port. they made it sound so easy i really thought all i had to do was use a little piece of wood the same width as the port and just choose the height and the depth or length of that chunk didnt really matter as long as i made the actual port hole smaller is what was important. guess its not that simple.

anyways no biggie i just wanted to run a test between what the manufacturers recommend vs making a bigger port as advised by tritis port area calculator and really hear what kind of difference it makes first hand.

8 minutes ago, akuma4u said:

this if funny because i swear before when i was looking into enclosures and stuff,. others told me i can easily manipulate port area but simply adding some wood to the port. they made it sound so easy i really thought all i had to do was use a little piece of wood the same width as the port and just choose the height and the depth or length of that chunk didnt really matter as long as i made the actual port hole smaller is what was important. guess its not that simple.

anyways no biggie i just wanted to run a test between what the manufacturers recommend vs making a bigger port as advised by tritis port area calculator and really hear what kind of difference it makes first hand.

The problem with just adding material to decrease your port area is it’s going to change your tuning frequency as well, so you wont be able to make a good comparison.  

If you really want to do it right you need a box with an external port you can change out. That way you can keep everything else the same. 

Builds:

Archived