Trailblazer electrical issue

So I just bought a 2004 Trailblazer 4.2 with the On-Star and without the Bose system.

*please move this if I am in the wrong area or if it has been answered, I did a search to no avail*

But yeah, I've enjoyed it so far other than the stereo not working other than AM/FM which is fair as it is older.

So I decide to remove the stock stereo, which is when I learned of the class-2 wiring and all the bells and whistles that Chevrolet slipped in there.

I've messed with stereos and audio my whole life and have never experienced this sort of thing so naturally I removed the factory unit, ran my own power straight from the battery.

The headunit I have when off doesn't pull any major current so I wasn't too worried about the switched voltage till after it was all working.

So as soon as I put the new headunit in, the car starts misfiring so bad it sounds like a diesel while flashing the check engine light.

Which I thought maybe it was bad gas as it was perfectly fine to ALL bad that quick.

Also checked plugs, and wires.

Being paranoid I put the old radio back in, and it was fine. 

Now what I am wondering is, if anyone has been able to bypass this without buying the full harness retaining on-star and all the other useless add-ons?

• 1 month later...

Just a thought... Did you disconnect the battery when doing your install? Our TB's are infamous for having computer issues when you disconnect the battery. Throttle body and computer taking a dump and needing to recalibrate and that crap. Mine took a dump and I needed to actually replace spark plug coils after I disconnected the battery the first time. Then again yours started working again after putting the OEM head unit it so idk... Try a wiring harness maybe? They're like 30-50 depending on where you get them if you get the one with the remote accessories power or wharever it's called I'm out of it right now. 

I did a install on the wifes 2017 cruze hu install w/o the little adapter it would have been a nightmare

I sat in  my living room and put the hu and adapter together and next morning it was unplug and insert new plugs and re assemble

got the new bezel?  for around the factory radio 

crutchfield was great

factory bells and whistles saved no steering controls to worry about   back up cam works too

Archived