Second Skin Audio

Input on a trunk box for three SA-12s on 4k

Joshdashef

Thinking of upgrading to three SA-12s (D4) to wire down to 0.67 ohms with an Apocalypse AAK-4000.1D. Getting some more batts to put in my spare tire well probably, seeing as this box design will eat up my entire trunk. The idea is to make this into two pieces then bolt them together and seal the gap with some kind of rubber or gasket material. 

In order to fit all of these subs I was planning on doing a box design like this; where the subs are next to each other horizontally and the port comes over top of them (all on the same side / unless anyone knows of a better placement of either) 

Sorry for the roughness, quite a novice in sketchup but managed to build up what I had in mind. Top slot port sideways with three subs below it all equidistant from one another with plenty of space for the basket. If I were to do this I would want to have 45s and some other round overs of course but I only put in one for now. 

Dimensions I will be able to use are ~40" wide x ~17" tall x ~21.5" deep. Before displacements that gives me about 6.9 cubes. Subs take (0.14 each) or 0.42 cubes with a recommended volume of 1.5 - 2 cubes net at 35 hertz. I figure internal bracing and the pieces used to join the front and back of the box together will eat up another 0.5 cubes if not more. 

https://www.sundownaudio.com/index.php/subwoofers/sa-series

Open to any ideas anyone has. 

three-SA-12s-front.jpg

three-SA-12s-top.jpg

Pic of my trunk also, going to be moving around almost everything here except the amps might stay in front of the subs unless I need to move them behind the box. Batts going in spare tire well or behind box depending on space

tumblr_polf4pabE01vjgzep_1280.jpg

I dont think you are going to have the room for 3 ported. Given the dimensions and .75" mdf you are at 6.9 cu. ft. add in woofer and bracing displacement and you're at 6-6.25 cu ft. the port to run 4k to those will be 16.3 per cube ideally, so pretty big which will take another foot or so. Which leaves you around 5 cubes, which I think will be to small.

6 minutes ago, ckeeler11 said:

I dont think you are going to have the room for 3 ported. Given the dimensions and .75" mdf you are at 6.9 cu. ft. add in woofer and bracing displacement and you're at 6-6.25 cu ft. the port to run 4k to those will be 16.3 per cube ideally, so pretty big which will take another foot or so. Which leaves you around 5 cubes, which I think will be to small.

By 16.3 per cube for the port do you mean square port area ? I briefly looked at the sa’s in winisd trying to compare two on the 2k and three on the 4K but I’m still unfamiliar with the whole program 

Archived