Almost maxed gain approx 96%

I have a pioneer avh-200ex headunit.

Amp is a orion 2500d.

I know head unit maxes without distortion. I then hooked up my dd1 got signal and 40hz light on. I slowly cranked it up I would get a distortion flicker. I back it off the 40hz light goes out until I turn it back on to not get distortion light. I have my gain set to around 96% any higher in have distortion light fully on. Using track 5 and have used power ground with the + terminal. 

My amp not a quick replace as it's a discontinued amp and dont want to fry it. 

Also have one of the self build oscope with x100 probe and shows same but just never had an aml able to push gain almost max.

What are the settings on the HU when you test it? It only has 2v preouts, and in my experience, you MIGHT get half of that on the -5dB track without the "sub level" being maxed out (which would in turn cause the amp to distort prior to max volume. Not that HU, but my 80PRS. Low input voltage =high amp gain to match

Gain is basically a ratio set between input and output voltage. If your input voltage is low, you'll need a high gain to compensate. No side effects from it other than potentially extra static or similar artifacts if your cables are unshielded and acting like an antenna

FWIW when I had a 7v line driver, my gain wouldn't get more than maybe 25 degrees off min setting to get to the appropriate settings.

tl;dr don't sweat it you're good!

10 minutes ago, Zrafferty said:

Ok what about the false positive distortion lights is this normal with the dd1

What do you mean false positive?

On 4/3/2019 at 7:35 PM, Zrafferty said:

Ok what about the false positive distortion lights is this normal with the dd1

Flickers are ok, but if it goes on and stays on then you are seeing a distorted signal. 

22 hours ago, Zrafferty said:

Ok so it's common for the distortion light to flicker? What about the 40hz light fading when I turn down gain when verifying it's a distortion flicker

The 40hz detect is fading because your signal is fading