Second Skin Audio

Is it worth it switching from an Xv.2 15 to a Zv.5 or NSv.4 12?

image91

Good day all. Trying to make this decision once & for all. Any assistance would be great. Currently have an Orion 2500.1Dz on my Xv.2 15 in a T-line & wondering what difference i might get in switching to a higher series sub, in the form of the Zv.5, but using a smaller sized woofer, being a 12. Also looking to do a T-line for the 12.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The plan was to upgrade to an SAE-3000 when it becomes available where i'm from. Considering the ratings on the Orion amps, not sure if it'll be any significant increase in power. Just wondering how big of a loss in output that might be. The space i'll be saving seems considerable.

1 hour ago, image91 said:

The plan was to upgrade to an SAE-3000 when it becomes available where i'm from. Considering the ratings on the Orion amps, not sure if it'll be any significant increase in power. Just wondering how big of a loss in output that might be. The space i'll be saving seems considerable.

You wouldn't be going up and power whatsoever. The Orion does 2900+ @ 12.6 and around 2200+ @2 ohms. Full bridge Korean amp. The sae is good Chinese but has a more traditional power ratio. 3000@1 and 1500@2 ohm. The Orion does more @4 ohms than the sundown does @2. 

Also. The x series is very underrated. It's really around 2000+ RMS and the zv5 is around 2800 in my experience. You'd be hard pressed to give either sub rated with that sae 3k. The Orion is perfect for the x 15. As as mentioned above you'd lose cone area with the 12. It would sound very good musically imo tho. 

Hm. Basically what i was thinking. i'm wondering if i can put a safe enough amount of power on the Zv.5 12 for it to sound very similar to the Xv.2 15 in terms of output. Would that be possible in anyone's opinion?

1 hour ago, image91 said:

Hm. Basically what i was thinking. i'm wondering if i can put a safe enough amount of power on the Zv.5 12 for it to sound very similar to the Xv.2 15 in terms of output. Would that be possible in anyone's opinion?

You'll get tons of output on a zv5 12. Have you ever heard a clean 2000+ RMS on a sub? I don't mean that in a sarcastic or dickhead way. 2000 RMS is crazy loud and these Sundown subs get really low. You'll have a tad more punch with the 12 and the 15 will get a tad lower. The differences are marginal imo. 

Yup, so far the XTR2500.1Dz sounds great, even with my stock alternator still holding me back a fair bit. Was considering either the SAE-3000D or an HCCA3000.1. Budget-wise, the HCCA seems like a great go. Might match the Zv.5 a bit better as well.

Much prefer the "tad lower" aspect of it to be honest. Not a fan of punchy or hitting hard. 26Hz-35Hz is my kinda range. Have a feeling the 15" will give me more of the tone that i'm looking for & so i'm a bit worried. Wondering if throwing the Zv.5 12 in a T-Line will change it up enough to give me a similar sound. i've been considering not selling the Xv.2 15" just yet & saving for the 12", testing it out & then making a decision. Would hate to sell my 15" & then not like the 12" as much. 

Decisions decisions.

If i didn't want the extra space i'd just solve my problems by getting a ZV.5 15". That's still on the table if i decide against the 12" & decide to give up on getting my trunk space back. lol

I think you are gonna spend a lot of money for not much difference and most likely even a loss in output. If you need space ditch the T line and throw the 15 in a regular ported box.

Sitting around waiting to be installed:

4 FI X 10

270 CES alt

D3400/73ah lithium

AA 3800.1

(2) AA 75.4

3 hours ago, Wishuponasub said:

I think you are gonna spend a lot of money for not much difference and most likely even a loss in output. If you need space ditch the T line and throw the 15 in a regular ported box.

Are you referring to if i end up using the 12" bro? Even with a regular ported enclosure the box is coming up to around 6.5 ft^3. i built a ported enclosure for the Xv.2 15 but the low end output sounded nowhere near the T-line. The T-Line sounds on another level to be honest. If i decide to stick with this enclosure size i honestly might just switch to a Zv.5 15" instead. If you're not referring to the 12" do you mean that going with the HCCA 3000.1 & the Zv.5 15" would be spending a lot of money for not much difference?

Would hate to go through all that & realize that there's not a big difference between the Xv.2 & the Zv.5 O_o

• image91 changed the title to Is it worth it switching from an Xv.2 15 to a Zv.5 or NSv.4 12?

Archived