Second Skin Audio

Is it worth it switching from an Xv.2 15 to a Zv.5 or NSv.4 12?

image91

I mean taking the X 15 out of a t line and putting it in a ported box. If you didn't like the last box tune lower. A very general rule of thumb is either double the cone area or double the power and you gain 3 db. That is very very general. Most of the time you won't see this gain due to many variables. So you are wanting to go with less cone area and pretty much the same power so you will lose output, no doubt in my mind. Like most subs that zv5 is underrated. If I had one I would be putting at a minimum 3500 watts to it. The 2000 watt rating they put on it is a joke. But I dislike Sundown very much and would never run them but that's just me.

If you need to save space then do what you gotta do man. But if you are going down in cone area you are gonna have to really go up in power to try to get the same output. When you are already running 2500 watts you will not hear an audible difference by going up 500 watts. But going from the xtr2500 to the hcca 3000 you might. That thing dynos like crazy but if it does put out that power you will probably need to upgrade your electrical to run that amp.

I'm not trying to discourage you here bud I'm trying to save you some money. I think trying out a lower tuned ported box may be your best bet unless you just wanna drop the coin on a new setup. So you are saying 6.5cf for the 15 in a ported , what is the size of the 12" tline? Surely it's the same if not larger

Sitting around waiting to be installed:

4 FI X 10

270 CES alt

D3400/73ah lithium

AA 3800.1

(2) AA 75.4

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The hcca and Zv5 15 would be loud AF. I ran a Zv5 15 and an Apocalypse AAK -4000.1d @.5 ohm and got 147db. I could've easily got a 148+ if I sealed off all cancellation. I had all kinds of gaps and a rather large one above my box. That combo slammed and peaked at 36hz. You'd love that combo if you like lows. 

Thanks for the input guys. Going to probably try to knock up an enclosure when i get some time & tune a bit lower just to see what kind of low end i get out of it. Will probably tune to 28 Hz. Will have to drop the port area a bit as the "optimal" port area won't be very practical for achieving that tuning.

1 hour ago, image91 said:

Thanks for the input guys. Going to probably try to knock up an enclosure when i get some time & tune a bit lower just to see what kind of low end i get out of it. Will probably tune to 28 Hz. Will have to drop the port area a bit as the "optimal" port area won't be very practical for achieving that tuning.

Nice, I’m also gonna be tuning to 28hz on an NSV4 18”.   Can’t wait to slam the lows.

Sundown NSV4 18"  +  Sundown SALT-4 Baby

MechMan Elite 370a  +  XS3100 - XP3000

SHCA 1/0 OFC(blue+  SMD Fuse Holders(blue)

Pioneer AVH-2440NEX  SHCA Pro RCA 

Last box was tuned to 31Hz. Went with a port area of 84.375 in^2. If i lower it a bit i should be able to hit 28. It's still big imo so i switched back to the T-Line. For some reason there was a shard roll of under 29/30 which i didn't like. Wanted to pick up down to 26 at least a little. It was dropping heavily after 29. 

53 minutes ago, image91 said:

Last box was tuned to 31Hz. Went with a port area of 84.375 in^2. If i lower it a bit i should be able to hit 28. It's still big imo so i switched back to the T-Line. For some reason there was a shard roll of under 29/30 which i didn't like. Wanted to pick up down to 26 at least a little. It was dropping heavily after 29. 

My box was tuned to 31hz and it slammed lows at 26. No roll off until around 24. Peaked at 36 but sub was fresh outta the box. Transmission took a dump on me a week after getting everything together. Subwoofer has been collecting dust ever since unfortunately. Played up to about 50 also. 40's had decent authority. Started to get soft around 51 Hz. I'm telling you... No need to tune under 30 Hz in my opinion. My enclosure was exactly 4.10ft³ ( after .25 woofer displacement) with a 62in² port and plenty of power. 2500rms+/-

• image91 changed the title to Is it worth it switching from an Xv.2 15 to a Zv.5 or NSv.4 12?

Archived