Second Skin Audio

Is it worth it switching from an Xv.2 15 to a Zv.5 or NSv.4 12?

image91

1 hour ago, image91 said:

Will put 15 back in ported enclosure & take a listen again. Didn't too like how heavy the higher frequencies were hitting to be honest. Rather that output be lower down. 

Chances are it was tuned too high. Torres was a lil off when I designed mine. First box was supposed to be 32 and was around 34 so I made the second with a 29 Hz tuning as per Torres and it ended up being around 31. I was trying for 32. I loved it. 80+in2 port is huge. Shoot for mid 60s port area. 

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Kyblack76 said:

I wouldnt swapt a Xv2 15 for a z5 12, all considered. Sounds like a wash to me.

Yup, coming to that realization more & more. Going back in the direction of the ported enclosure & see how it works out. 

@DiBo i just did some adjustments & i'm going to modify the 31Hz tuned ported to a 30Hz ported firing upward instead of forward/backward. Using 68 in^2 of port area instead of 84.375 in^2. Will see how it works out. i used 84 in^2 of port area because it's what i got via Triticum's port calculator. i don't think it was too big, it just wasn't the best fit for my situation or what i'm trying to do. To be honest, the ported enclosure as is sounded excellent all-round & had a lottt of output. It just wasn't extremely low end heavy like the T-line is which is what i'm looking for ;)

Question folks, started looking into the Nightshade as well. How are these on low end in comparison to the Xv2 & Zv5? & with a minimum of around 3200wrms, could the nsv4 12 compete with the Xv2 15? Will be looking at the black spider version. Trying to do my research so that i make a good decision with my next sub. 

So far i've gathered that it has more motor force & is lighter. Seeing a lot of people throwing a lottt of power on them so wondering if 3200 wrms is sufficient. Some people mentioned that they are not that different from the Zv5 but not sure how true that is. 

Thoughts? 

• image91 changed the title to Is it worth it switching from an Xv.2 15 to a Zv.5 or NSv.4 12?
7 hours ago, image91 said:

Question folks, started looking into the Nightshade as well. How are these on low end in comparison to the Xv2 & Zv5? & with a minimum of around 3200wrms, could the nsv4 12 compete with the Xv2 15? Will be looking at the black spider version. Trying to do my research so that i make a good decision with my next sub. 

So far i've gathered that it has more motor force & is lighter. Seeing a lot of people throwing a lottt of power on them so wondering if 3200 wrms is sufficient. Some people mentioned that they are not that different from the Zv5 but not sure how true that is. 

Thoughts? 

I doubt it will be louder 15 vs 12 , but the NSV4 def get lower and sound good doing it.

Roughly 40% more motor force vs nsv3 and I think like half the weight,  also has better cooling with the vent holes right on the side of the neo mag.

As for 3200 watts, is that what ur clamping?  Or is that what ur rated at at 1ohm?  Hard to stay at 1ohm in a car so you might only be doing around 2000-3000 if ur lucky.  

3200 clamped should be great for an NSV4 if not wired down for 3200 is a good start.

Sundown NSV4 18"  +  Sundown SALT-4 Baby

MechMan Elite 370a  +  XS3100 - XP3000

SHCA 1/0 OFC(blue+  SMD Fuse Holders(blue)

Pioneer AVH-2440NEX  SHCA Pro RCA 

1 hour ago, Dragonsyph said:

I doubt it will be louder 15 vs 12

Hm @ 15 vs 12. i figured at some point that because it was a higher series woofer with higher power handling & improved build/parts etc. that the cone area would not factor in as much but i suppose it still does.

the NSV4 def get lower and sound good doing it

i noticed that the fs on the Zv.5 is slightly lower than the Xv.2 & both are a fair amount lower than the NSv.4?

Comparing 15 vs 15 vs 15, same enclosure tuned around 28/30Hz, which would probably have best accuracy & best reproduce low end notes between 26 & 35Hz? i'm assuming that the NSv.4 would have the best power & thermal handling. Not sure on the other aspects. i've never been lucky enough to hear one where i'm from.

Btw, which spiders are the best for an everyday SQL system? Thought the black spiders were but then i heard Derek (Sundown Audio Unofficial) mention "black SPL spiders" on an NSv.4 spl video? The stock red spiders were mentioned to be "more stiff" so just want to make sure i'm getting this right.

As for 3200 watts, is that what ur clamping?  Or is that what ur rated at at 1ohm?  Hard to stay at 1ohm in a car so you might only be doing around 2000-3000 if ur lucky.  

3200 clamped should be great for an NSV4 if not wired down for 3200 is a good start.

3000wrms is basically what i was aiming for @ 1 Ohm to be honest. Still trying to decide between the Sundown 3000.1 & HCCA 3000.1. With the rating that the HCCAs were putting out i sort of averaged getting at least around 3200wrms.

Thanks for the feedback 😃

How does your 18 handle the Hcca 5k bro? & also how does your voltage/current hold up? Will have a similar setup in terms of batteries & waiting on mechman 240A. i'm seeing a guy i dealt with before with an Hcca 5k for sale in pristine condition for less than the price i was getting the Hcca 3k for O_o So considering it. Especially since the 3k is out of stock atm.

Motors getting stronger as you move up the line ....Zv5 is definitely stronger then the X but would be a wash 12 to15 swap...the Nsv3 is 22% stronger then the Zv5 and the NSv4 is 23% stronger than the Nsv3 which is 46% stronger than the Zv5 so it would be louder 12 to 15 swap...NOW would you notice? Probably not,would definitely show up on the meter but probably at a db louder a best....I run a an SCV 7500 on each of my Nsv4s at .5 clamping a tad over 7k each and have been doing so since October with ZERO issue 

2000 Suburban 6 runs of 2/0

12 timpano audio mids,6 timpana audio tweets and 1 timpano compression horn per door 

8 banks of blue Maxwells + 260ah of Yin Long LTOs 

2 370 Amp Autotech Alts 

mids amps 2  Crescendo Skyway 3ks 

Tweet amp Crossfire 2000.4

sub amp: 4 Crossfire XT 8ks

Subs: 8 18 in Crossfires in a 4th order

Best Scores at events…

161.6@38hz DBdrag  sealed on the dash… 162.54 outlaw…161.14 Meca headrest 

Going to possibly see the Hcca 5000.1 today but i know for a fact i don't have the current for it & probably won't. Never intended on running over one battery much less for two. But we all know how that goes O_o

Will it make sense using the NSv4 with the Hcca 3000.1 or even Sundown 3000.1? Or would the Zv5 perform better on that power? Want something that i don't have to worry about getting hot after two to three songs preferably. If the NSv4 12 @ 3000 wrms will come close to, equal or outperform the Xv2 15 @ 2500 wrms then i'll seriously consider it. Part of me wants to shell out the extra for the NSv4 15 but i know i'll end up with the same "i have no trunk & the back of my wagon is dropped while the front is not" uncomfortable feeling. lol. Hence why i want to switch to a 12 if possible.

@kalilac619 Not sure if you meant at the end that the NSv4 is 46% stronger than the Zv5 so it would be louder "15 to 12" swap?

& can anyone at all give me any reasons to go with the Sundown amps over the Orion? (Trying to sneak this in here because it's hard making this decision on my own due to lack of available information online)

Archived