Second Skin Audio

Kerf adhesive

Hey yall. I'm about to finish up an enclosure using a kerfed port opening. This is only my second time to do this, so I still have questions.

The first time was in my spare tire well for a down fire sub in my hatch to fire into. For that one I used liquid nail in all the gaps. It went fast due to the thickness of it, filled the gaps n lasted until I tore it all out.

This time I wanted to make sure its strong enough, so I used Tightbond 2 since that's what I use to make enclosures. Im thinking those kerfs went alot faster the first time I did it (and it was ab 2 feet of kerfs vs 8 or 9 inches this time). Idk if caution got the best of me, but it seemed to take alot of glue and alot more time to fill the kerfs w Tightbond vs the liquid nail.

Well I have 2 more kerfs to do, so my question is what are some other options that will fill the kerfs a bit more efficiently than tighbond, but still strong? Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, MyNameIsNoob said:

Hey yall. I'm about to finish up an enclosure using a kerfed port opening. This is only my second time to do this, so I still have questions.

The first time was in my spare tire well for a down fire sub in my hatch to fire into. For that one I used liquid nail in all the gaps. It went fast due to the thickness of it, filled the gaps n lasted until I tore it all out.

This time I wanted to make sure its strong enough, so I used Tightbond 2 since that's what I use to make enclosures. Im thinking those kerfs went alot faster the first time I did it (and it was ab 2 feet of kerfs vs 8 or 9 inches this time). Idk if caution got the best of me, but it seemed to take alot of glue and alot more time to fill the kerfs w Tightbond vs the liquid nail.

Well I have 2 more kerfs to do, so my question is what are some other options that will fill the kerfs a bit more efficiently than tighbond, but still strong? Thanks in advance!

I would TiteBond 2 it still. Did you use MDF, Birch, or Baltic Birch? Home Depot Birch kerfs better with no lines afterwards. Just letting you know. 

20190221-193209.jpghome Depot Birch with Baltic behind it for added strength. The home Depot Birch is actually pine with a birch veneer so it basically sucks. Kerfs the cleanest tho. Put a 45 connecting the two Baltic pieces together and strength isn't an issue. 

The majority of the box and bracing is built w 2 layers of MDF, except the port and the 3rd baffle will be Baltic Birch (for the looks). I've never kerfed Birch so still learning n hopefully adding it over the MDF doesnt cause any issues, but i added 2 corner braces so it should be pretty strong I'd think?

Archived