Wiring crossovers in paralell

MinistryMan

Hey guys. I am a bit perplexed. I want to get some component speakers now that I have my sub bass set up. (Orion HCCA 152, Orion XTR 2500.1Dz, XS D3400, 300amp alt, Big 3, all 1\0 OFC wire) I have a bit of sub bass, and I want some decent mids and highs without having to add 2 or 3 more amps. I have been looking at component sets, and I like the Skar Audio SPX set. I want to get 2 sets equaling 4 channels. I have been looking at 4 channel amps for 2 days now, and the ones that could push 200x4@4ohms rms are a bit expensive. I don't really want to spend $400 on a mids and highs amp. A thought occurred to me that I could wire 2 crossovers in parallel reducing the ohm load from 4 to 2 and use a full range 2 channel amp that pushes 400x2@2 ohms rms. It was much easier to find amps that were capable of this output without being as expensive. I realize I will not have front and rear tuning options, but I am ok with this. I recently bought a Sony MEX-XB120BT and I may use the rear preout for a set of 8in woofers to boost the midbass (80hz-250hz) if I am not pleased with the bass performance of the 6.5 component speakers. I may also upgrade my 2nd battery to a XS D7500. Now my question is can I wire 2 crossovers to the same channel like a dual voice coil in parallel? I know nothing about crossovers. I had thoughts of building my own component sets with 6.5 speakers, tweets, and passive crossovers, but I am unsure if you can do such things. How does the crossover know that the tweet is supposed to receive 40 watts, and the woofer 160 as it divides the signal? My mind is not set on the Skar SPX, but so far I like them best for the power to cost ratio. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

6 hours ago, MinistryMan said:

How does the crossover know that the tweet is supposed to receive 40 watts, and the woofer 160 as it divides the signal?

Attenuation circuits. Most passive crossovers have a switch to set the level of attenuation to the tweeter.

I went with the Skar Audio SKv2 200.4, 4 PAX 6.5's, and 2 pair of VX35-ST 3.5 tweeters. That's 600 watts of mids, and 600 watts of highs. Once I get these broke in, I'm going to see if I will need anymore midbass. I ordered a SMD dd1, and cc 1 combo. The amp has a good bit of headroom so I need to keep the distortion low and the crossover accurate. Maybe after I play with the mids crossover a bit I will be satisfied with the midbass.  If not, I got a 1200 watt Zeus amp that I could utilize for a few 8's, or 10's. I was really eyeballing the Sundown 6.5 inch sub. Four of them would suit the amp perfectly and fit nicely in the console I'm building to tuck my amps and mids away in. I got a 4 inch turbo fan (200 cfm) to put on my amps. The Orion runs pretty warm. I'd like to get the SMD combo meter kit,  especially the temp sensor, and wire it to my fan. If these Skar speakers sound as good as the reviews read,  I may trade my HCCA in for a couple of the ZVX subs just to keep it uniform. 

Archived