Second Skin Audio

Kerf port advice

Sweety

I have seen a lot of slot ported boxes with a kerf at the end either rounded or with a 45' angle to them & was wondering what the benefits of having a kerf  are compared to just rounding over the end of a slot port ? I understand that the length of the port needs to be longer when a kerf is used but i'm unsure by how much. The reason i'm asking is partly to learn about kerf ports but also as i'm about to build a new enclosure it's is something I may try

In all honesty, it doesnt do much and more for looks.  
There is no real audible gain in loudness and would only be seen on a spl meter, and if its something your wanting for SPL purposes and building a box to play 1 frequency really loud there are better alternatives to a kerfed port like an aeroport.

53 minutes ago, audiofanaticz said:

In all honesty, it doesnt do much and more for looks.  
There is no real audible gain in loudness and would only be seen on a spl meter, and if its something your wanting for SPL purposes and building a box to play 1 frequency really loud there are better alternatives to a kerfed port like an aeroport.

Thanks for that as that as I wasn't sure if there would be any gains audible wise or not

Archived