Newb Mid-range distortion with bass

msturg

About a year ago I installed a bunch of the Kicker line in my F150 crewcab.  I bought a Kicker IQ series 1000.1 amp and their 6.5" QS series components.  When I installed the fronts (not running any rears), I used the foam rings and put down KnoKnoise sound deadener and covered the major holes with sheet metal and more deadener.  Initially I was using the passive crossovers that come with the speakers, and last week I finally got around to bypassing these and running active with the IQ series amp.  

My problem is that I have to set the crossover to the point that I'm cutting out most of the lower mid range bass.  I set all the gains with a DD-1 so it's not clipping, it's just like the speakers can't play very loud with any sort of lower frequency.  I'm not trying to get all my bass from the fronts, as I'm running a sundown zv5 with 2500watts, BUT I would like to be able to turn down the sub at times and have a complete sound from just the front stage.  If I turn down the sub now, the sound is not "tinny" but it just doesn't sound complete.  I can definitely tell the bass is missing from the sound.  What's sad is I can get in a new car and hear a little 6.5 "bump" better than what my truck does. 

What am I doing wrong here?  I feel like the door is fairly sealed but these things just don't sound right.  Any help is appreciated.  Just want to have a really clear and loud stereo.

I’m kinda confused. What amplifier do you have on your components ???

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

6 hours ago, msturg said:

About a year ago I installed a bunch of the Kicker line in my F150 crewcab.  I bought a Kicker IQ series 1000.1 amp and their 6.5" QS series components.  When I installed the fronts (not running any rears), I used the foam rings and put down KnoKnoise sound deadener and covered the major holes with sheet metal and more deadener.  Initially I was using the passive crossovers that come with the speakers, and last week I finally got around to bypassing these and running active with the IQ series amp.  

My problem is that I have to set the crossover to the point that I'm cutting out most of the lower mid range bass.  I set all the gains with a DD-1 so it's not clipping, it's just like the speakers can't play very loud with any sort of lower frequency.  I'm not trying to get all my bass from the fronts, as I'm running a sundown zv5 with 2500watts, BUT I would like to be able to turn down the sub at times and have a complete sound from just the front stage.  If I turn down the sub now, the sound is not "tinny" but it just doesn't sound complete.  I can definitely tell the bass is missing from the sound.  What's sad is I can get in a new car and hear a little 6.5 "bump" better than what my truck does. 

What am I doing wrong here?  I feel like the door is fairly sealed but these things just don't sound right.  Any help is appreciated.  Just want to have a really clear and loud stereo.

The foam rings 2ont do anything unless they're made out of the proper material

Second. What are your crossover points since youre running active

On 4/4/2019 at 8:22 PM, White Lightning said:

I’m kinda confused. What amplifier do you have on your components ???

It's the Kicker IQ1000.5, I'm not using the 5th channel at all

On 4/4/2019 at 8:25 PM, ToNasty said:

The foam rings 2ont do anything unless they're made out of the proper material

Second. What are your crossover points since youre running active

I'm using the FAST brand speaker rings

Crossover points, I'm not 100% sure where they are, the initial setup with the IQ amp is done by selecting what size speakers you have, kind of an active setup for dummies,.  I do have my headunit set to crossover around 120Hz for the midrange.

• 3 months later...

Agreed with setting to 80hz. What slope do you them set to? I've had mine at 18/24db, after reading a thread the other day, I believe it was either Nasty or Lightning suggested to somebody to set the slope to 12db. That dramatically made an improvement in bass response. 

Pretty sure it's not the issue, unless overcompensating, but that amp is rated for 65rms x4 @ 4ohms, whereas the components can handle 90rms. A bit underpowered. 

Also, what did the IQ amp cross your tweeters over at?

Spit balling here....

2015 Mazda 6

JVF Customz 4.0 Proto 15>Wolfram W4500 @ .5ohm

2 Sundown Neo 6.5 + 2 CT Meso Tweeters (Front) x Kicker KS6.5 (Rear)>JL Audio VX400/4i

NSB-AMG35 (front) / 40ah Lithium Headway (Rear) built by Erni Audio & Electrical

I'd be Leary of cookie cutter active cover points.

I tried active and passive, if passive is done with good head unit voltage (4-5 volts) and lots of head room and of course quality quality speakers,  it can sound pretty phenomenal.

Edit: I just checked that amps specs and features. That thing should sound awesome. 31 band eq, butterworth 0 6 12 24 db xover

Linkwitz 0 6 12 db xover 

Explain more like in the interface app, is there an easy mode and advanced mode?

It seems that amp can get very complicated as far as setting the DSP. Walk us through some steps it takes

Did they sound acceptable with the passive xovers? If so, can you post a pic of the passive internals?

Did you set the tweets with the dd1? If you didnt use a softer track for setup you might have them too loud.

High midbass impedance near peak? All drivers rise and you normally can't hear it but some drivers are just real bad at this, they usually have a zobel built into the passive crossover to keep the cut-off from shifting.

Can you shift phase at your amp? If so, Have you tried raising the midbass?

15 hours ago, AaronT said:

I'd be Leary of cookie cutter active cover points.

I tried active and passive, if passive is done with good head unit voltage (4-5 volts) and lots of head room and of course quality quality speakers,  it can sound pretty phenomenal.

Edit: I just checked that amps specs and features. That thing should sound awesome. 31 band eq, butterworth 0 6 12 24 db xover

Linkwitz 0 6 12 db xover 

Explain more like in the interface app, is there an easy mode and advanced mode?

It seems that amp can get very complicated as far as setting the DSP. Walk us through some steps it takes

Yeah his amp seems to be like my JL. I just have all my EQ & Crossovers through my headunit. Haven't even begun to go through with the JL DSP, it's kinda overwhelming lol. 

2015 Mazda 6

JVF Customz 4.0 Proto 15>Wolfram W4500 @ .5ohm

2 Sundown Neo 6.5 + 2 CT Meso Tweeters (Front) x Kicker KS6.5 (Rear)>JL Audio VX400/4i

NSB-AMG35 (front) / 40ah Lithium Headway (Rear) built by Erni Audio & Electrical

Archived