Second Skin Audio

sub box question for a newb on ported boxes

hello all.

i recently purchased 2 rockville W12K6D2 V2 , dual 2 ohm coils , my amp i will be using is a soundstream ar1.8000d  , i plan on running a 2 ohm load total to the subs @600 w ea , the  amp according to BigD on youtube it should do about 1200 rms give or take . the box i think i may be going with  will be 36" wide 17"deep 19"tall , im thinking of doing an 8" aero port with about 10" in the box and the rest protruding  , the car these are going in is a nissan versa note hatchback subs and port firing to the roof, my question is does this seem like a reasonable box with that size port,  i have had many systems over the years but none ported .

Thanks in advance 

With those specs the box should be around 4.6 cu ft net.  This is assuming you will use a double baffle on the top, which you should do.  

Looks like it should work well to me.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

1 hour ago, sadams4431 said:

I also forgot to mention the aeroport will be aprox 18-19 inches with 10 inches or so being in the box would this be ok ?

Yeah that should be fine.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

hi all  i have another newb question,   i cant seem to locate 8 inch pipe locally , lets assume i went with a few 4inch ports , how many and what lengths would be optimal in my situation ?  subs and ports firing toward the roof , so it doesnt matter how much port is sticking out of the box.

thanks 

2 hours ago, sadams4431 said:

hi all  i have another newb question,   i cant seem to locate 8 inch pipe locally , lets assume i went with a few 4inch ports , how many and what lengths would be optimal in my situation ?  subs and ports firing toward the roof , so it doesnt matter how much port is sticking out of the box.

thanks 

If you used 4" ports instead of a single 8" you would need four 4" ports to equal the same port area, they would have a lot more internal surface area though, so they would be less efficient.  (This is why its not best to use more than one or two aero ports).  

You don't need to use pipe to make an 8" port, just get some 8" concrete form tube.  They should have it at Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.  Bring your tape measure with you though, what's labeled at an 8" tube can be anywhere from 7-9" internally.  

Builds:

Archived